Hexagonal tessellation over a large area

01-06-2020 10:15 AM
ParmanandSinha
New Contributor

Dear Members,

I want to create hexagon tessellations of 100meters side over the state of Texas. In ArcGIS Pro, I am using the "Generate Tessellation" geoprocessing tool (arcpy.GenerateTessellation_management) with the Shape_Type hexagon and Size parameter 100meters. Ideally, it will create around 7,000,000,000 hexagons, but it takes forever to complete the process. I have no issues when the hexagon size is larger (say 1,000 or 10,000 meters). I will appreciate any suggestions for expediting this process.

Thanks,

P. Sinha

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Given that 1,000 meter cells works fine, I am guessing you are running into a memory management issue and paging a lot when moving to 100 meter.  When you run the tool using 100 meter, how much memory is ArcGIS Pro using after a while?  And, how much memory does your machine have?

0 Kudos
ParmanandSinha
New Contributor

Hi Joshua,

Thanks for your reply. It is an I9 machine with 32 GB of ram. The 1000 meter tessellation process takes about an hour. I believe the arcpy.GenerateTessellation_management function is single-threaded. The memory usage was never going more than half of the available RAM.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

How long does the 10,000 meter take?  If the process scales linear on time, you might be able to estimate what going from 1,000 meter to 100 meter will take.