Select to view content in your preferred language

Help with Projections/Point Aligment

Jump to solution
08-10-2023 02:42 PM
Labels (3)
ElliottBAR
New Contributor

Hi all,

Ive been a GIS user for about 10+ years. I work in planning and was at a firm for a while do other stuff and not using ArcMap. I started a new job and found that my years of knowledge in ArcMap Desktop has been weakened with everything switching to Pro now it would seem in the last year or so while I was not using GIS (I will miss ArcMap).  

I have a data set of projects that I am trying to easily map using lat long from an excel file. We have points from a Google Earth file (.kml) that I took the lat/long from and put into an excel file. I saved as an .csv file and brought into ArcPro for Desktop.  When I run the Display XY Data command it is putting the points in China. I have checked the projections and datum, have tried different ones, but I cannot get them to overlay in AZ like they are supposed to.  

I checked manually the .csv file and that the field is set to double. I also imported the Google Earth file (.kml) into to project using the same settings and they overlay perfectly.  The goal is to have a huge running excel file that can be joined/related as new projects are added to the list with their coordinates. 

The geodatabase feature class is set to NAD 1983 HARN StatePlane Arizona Central FIPS 0202 (Intl Feet). The points were brought in from Degrees and converted to decimal. Ive tried re-projecting and have had no luck. 

What am I forgetting or missing? Please excuse my ignorance and I greatly appreciate the help!

ChinaLocations.PNGChinaProjections.PNGGoogle Earth Points.PNGGoogle Earth Projections.PNG

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@ElliottBAR add a negative to your longitude values. For eg. reading from your example I used 33.3744, -111.78 and they landed near Phoenix, AZ. 

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@ElliottBAR add a negative to your longitude values. For eg. reading from your example I used 33.3744, -111.78 and they landed near Phoenix, AZ. 

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri
ElliottBAR
New Contributor

Wow! Thanks so much - big life saver! What a dumb miss on my part. I was so careful to check my excel files and .csv formats, that I didnt check the original excel where the data was coming from. The column was removing the - sign in front! Thanks for the help and getting me back on track!

0 Kudos
swfbtucs
New Contributor III
The longitudes are missing the "-" minus. Right?