Help with Geocoding Format

01-25-2022 08:49 AM
Labels (1)
KamillePreto
Occasional Contributor II

I have a .csv which I am trying to geocode in Pro. The rows I highlighted are the formatted cells. The columns to the left of each highlighted column is the original format.

Geocode.JPG

I brought the table into Pro, and tried to display the XY data on the newly formatted cells, and the points do not land within our County (and they are supposed to). I confirmed the coordinate system is the same as the map.

Below is a screenshot of how off the points geocoded.

I tried changing the coordinate system, and that did not help.

Any suggestions? I need this data to geocode correctly to do some analysis.

Geocode2.JPG

0 Kudos
15 Replies
KamillePreto

Oh this is fantastic, I would much rather just pull it into my project than try to dig in and figure this out, thank you! I attempted to download it from the NBI web app (National Bridge Inventory - Bridge Inspection - Safety - Bridges & Structures - Federal Highway Admi..., but I could not find an option besides downloading the actual table. But I honestly didn't dig much further into other options.

Thank you again!

DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Recording and Coding Guide (dot.gov)

page 8 item 16     Degrees  Minutes Seconds   XX XX XX.xx

... sort of retired...
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

So to Dan's point, you'll need to convert S & U to decimal degrees using the following formula - 

dd = deg + min/60 + sec/3600

Once you parse out the data correctly.

DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

or my previous suggestion

Convert Coordinate Notation (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
KamillePreto

Thank you everybody!

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Kamille - if you're satisfied that your question has been answered, please mark the solution that you feel was correct.  That way it closes this thread and can provide answers to other folks.  Have a great day!

0 Kudos