Help with Geocoding Format

01-25-2022 08:49 AM
KamillePreto
Occasional Contributor II

I have a .csv which I am trying to geocode in Pro. The rows I highlighted are the formatted cells. The columns to the left of each highlighted column is the original format.

Geocode.JPG

I brought the table into Pro, and tried to display the XY data on the newly formatted cells, and the points do not land within our County (and they are supposed to). I confirmed the coordinate system is the same as the map.

Below is a screenshot of how off the points geocoded.

I tried changing the coordinate system, and that did not help.

Any suggestions? I need this data to geocode correctly to do some analysis.

Geocode2.JPG

0 Kudos
15 Replies
HuubZwart
Occasional Contributor

Sometimes Pro doesn't handle (csv) tables as expected, have you checked whether the coordinates in the Pro table match the ones in your original csv file?

0 Kudos
KamillePreto

I always use CSV tables to display the XY data and have not encountered an issue until now.

Yes, they do match. The only thing is the additional 0s dropped off at the end of some cells. But that shouldn't create an issue since it is 0 and not another number.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

is there a chance that the coordinates prior to conversion represented degrees, minutes, decimal seconds?

Convert Coordinate Notation (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
KamillePreto

The spreadsheet is not ours, so I wouldn't have that information. It is data from the National Bridge Inventory.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Columns S and U are strange... are those weirdly formatted lat and longs? Normally if I had values like those I would assume they are decimal degrees and I would need to do a conversion to get them into Lat and Long. 

0 Kudos
KamillePreto

You can see in the screenshot that I did format them - in the highlighted columns. You can see the difference there.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

34.XX YY ZZZ  you said the last 0 was dropped off

XX never goes above 59

YY never goes above 59

ZZZ any numbercould just be a strange coincidence but I got thinkin Degrees Decimal minutes 34 59.123

worth a check.

Also, what is the approximate distance that they are off? 

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
KamillePreto

That's great to know, thank you. I'm unfamiliar with the breakdown of the format so this is good information. I just did a quick scroll and confirmed that the XX and YY numbers do not go above 59. The points are anywhere between 7 and 20 miles off of where they should be.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Unrelated to the positional error but you can add the National Bridge Inventory from ArcGIS Online to your ArcGIS Pro project by going to the Catalog Pane->click the cloud>search for National Bridge Inventory and add it as a web layer to your map.  See graphic below.
NationalBridgeInventory.JPG