Help with Calculating Percentage

Jump to solution
02-21-2022 04:03 PM
TheACG7
New Contributor

I am attempting to calculate the area of shade as opposed to no shade in an area.

I have created the table which has two objects: 'Shade' and 'No Shade'. I then have a field for the total area for both of these objects. I now want to calculate the percentage for these two objects. I have created a 'Percent' field and am now attempting to calculate the field. The total area for 'Shade' and 'No Shade' is 171,808.9.

The code I am running is: !SUM_Shape_Area! / 171,808.9 * 100

When I run this, I get no error messages, however the Percent field remains NULL.

While trying to figure out the issue, I ran a simpler code of !Sum_Shape_Area! / 2.

This ran fine and resulted in the Percent field simply having a value of half of the SUM_shape_area field.

Does anyone know why this percent calculation is not working?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is see... try dumping the comma in the number, it is yielding unexpected results if python is being used

1000/1,000
(1000.0, 0)

1,000/1,000
(1, 0.0, 0)

1000/1000

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are you doing this on a row by row basis?  it isn't clear from your question.

If you want if for the table, then see

Summary Statistics (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
TheACG7
New Contributor

I am attempting to calculate this for the table using the Calculate Field function from within the attribute table. I have attached photos of my code and the attribute table. I have seen others successfully calculate percentage for their tables using this method. I am just confused as to why the table is not responding correctly. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is see... try dumping the comma in the number, it is yielding unexpected results if python is being used

1000/1,000
(1000.0, 0)

1,000/1,000
(1, 0.0, 0)

1000/1000

... sort of retired...
TheACG7
New Contributor

Thank you! Just a simple overlook on my part. 

0 Kudos