Help with Analysis Tools - which one ?

Jump to solution
05-08-2019 12:42 PM
HeatherBrown1
New Contributor II

frustrated and no one can seem to help me ! So, I am reaching out!

The goal is this :

I have @31,000 miles of lines and @ 23,000 map grids. I need to cut the line segment at the mapgrid and have each segment add  the attributes of the map grid that it is in. Ultimately, I then take that data and I  know exactly how much of each type of line segment is in each mapgrid - then I can update another software program.

You would thing this would be something easy - but it has been a total nightmare.

Clip doesn't work - too much data.

Identity tool - duplicates 100,000 + rows

Intersect tool - duplicates data (just a little less then Identity tool).   

and- I started out with 31,800 miles and end up with 30,700 miles … what the heck is that about?

And- if it is duplicating data and losing miles - where the heck is the data that makes up the entire 31,800 Miles?

Please help me - this really should be a simple thing and literally I have scoured my company for help - to no avail.

I am willing to try anything … It cannot be as difficult as it has been.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP !!!

Heather

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HeatherBrown1
New Contributor II

Caity -

Awesome - I am going to try this now - I will get back to you !!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
CaityBrawn
New Contributor

Have you tried using the Summarize Within Tool? As long as you have a field indicating the length of each line segment you should be able to sum this field for each grid box. 

0 Kudos
HeatherBrown1
New Contributor II

I have not - only because I need it to give each line segment the same attribute as the polygon it is in … For example..... if the line segment attributes are: Line A Dallas Texas …. and the polygon is number 43 in hamiltion.   I need the output to say      Line A Dallas Texas Number 43 Hamilton. 

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANSWERING _ I NEED HELP SO BADLY !

0 Kudos
CaityBrawn
New Contributor

If you have an advanced license you can use the Intersect Tool with the output type set as point to create a layer made of points where ever the lines intersect the grid. Then you would use the Split Line at Point Tool to split the lines based on where they intersect the grid.

You could then use a spatial join with the lines as target features and grid boxes as join features. Using a 'one to many' join operation and a 'within' join operation (I believe although another option may work better). You'll then have joined the attribute data to the line segments. I would export the line segment layer (make a copy) to solidify that join and then remove the join from the original line segment shapefile but that's totally your call. 

0 Kudos
HeatherBrown1
New Contributor II

Caity -

Awesome - I am going to try this now - I will get back to you !!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

0 Kudos
HeatherBrown1
New Contributor II

Caity - this worked perfect !! Thank you so much !!!!!!!!!!!!!

My data set was so large that I ended up having to break it up into 3 sections, which still took 1 day each to process, but … it did work !!

I am forever in your debt

Thanks,

Heather