Select to view content in your preferred language

Help filling attribute gaps in road layer

Sunday
Labels (1)
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA
Regular Contributor II

Scenario: I have a roads layer with attributes denoting different trucking categories. I already have a chunky model (or 3) which takes the primary road layer plus numerous overlaying trucking layers, spatially aligns them (snapping intersections, etc. as they're all independantly created and don't perfectly match despite being from the same custodian) and transfers attributes from the tracking layers to the main road layer. 

The image below shows an example of an intersection where the roads that accept trucks are highlighted red but don't meet.  

Problem: I use these roads to build a custom network for distance and route generation via Network Analyst in ArcGIS Pro. The gaps in the road network (not my data and not designed for network connectivity - built around asset management) don't meet nicely at intersections (as shown) and I have to manually fix the segments to make connect as per the second screenshot. 

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA_1-1719208853581.png

Question: Can anyone suggest a way (or series of steps) that could be implemented in Model Builder to fill the gaps between like segments, resulting in something like the below? I imagine there would need to be a tolerance built in, or maybe an identifying overlay polygon layer (which I already have for finding known issue spots). 

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA_2-1719208907547.png

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
Forest Products Commission WA
0 Kudos
1 Reply
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA
Regular Contributor II

Well I didn't get much help, though I did experiment with Copilot and python a little which gave me some ideas. I've built a model which essentially uses a subset of my polygon layer (selecting features containing the word "interesection") to select features that need updating, extending those lines to other trucking roads (max 50m away), then using the Snap tool to align those extensions to the underlying road layer. 

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA_0-1719556285675.png

This would only partially fix the example intersection shown above, but worked a treat for plenty of others where trucking roads reach halfway through an intersection like below. Overall, it's reduced the manual checking/fixing process quite significantly. I don't suspect I'll ever manage to eliminate it entirely (unless some sort of AI/trained tool comes along that I can teach to fix it). 

From this:

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA_2-1719556616354.png

to this:

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA_3-1719556647024.png

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
Forest Products Commission WA
0 Kudos