Select to view content in your preferred language

Grouping a data frame whilst making a pie chart

Jump to solution
01-22-2021 09:20 AM
Labels (1)
Floris508
New Contributor II

Hi everybody,

I have a data layer which consists of an attribute table of ~30 columns and ~6000 rows. This table contains information about buildings that are located close to parks in Amsterdam. I want to create a map in which I create for each park in Amsterdam a pie chart which shows the amount of buildings near that park. I know how to make the pie charts and how to display these on a map, the issue here is that I need to group the data to fall into parks. As of now, when I make the pie charts, the pie charts are made for EACH building (as I have 6000 buildings) and hence I need to group these buildings to each park. I have around 6000 observations for just 20 parks. So ideally I want to have 20 pie charts, one for each park.

I used a few tools (e.g. summary statistics) but these all give me back a table and hence I cannot make pie charts out of this anymore. I have attached three screenshots, 1 of the table, 2 of the output I got (and which I want to group to parks). Lastly, I have attached an example of how I want my final outcome to look like (note: in this example the counties substitute the parks)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Floris - I wonder if Summarize Nearby would work in this case.  But be aware that this GP tool does consume ArcGIS credits if you use the "driving time" or "driving distance" for the Distance Measurement parameter.  Reading the ArcGIS Pro help, it seems like this GP tool will create a new feature class that you can Sum the number of buildings within a distance of the parks

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Floris - I wonder if Summarize Nearby would work in this case.  But be aware that this GP tool does consume ArcGIS credits if you use the "driving time" or "driving distance" for the Distance Measurement parameter.  Reading the ArcGIS Pro help, it seems like this GP tool will create a new feature class that you can Sum the number of buildings within a distance of the parks

Floris508
New Contributor II

Hi Robert, thanks for your reply! I tried Summarize Nearby, and then as a group field I used "Name". However, the output is a grouped table, which I cannot visualize on a map.

0 Kudos
Floris508
New Contributor II

Hi Robert, I tried it again this morning (this time using the data layer which I wanted to group as an "input feature" and the data layer I want to analyze/summarize as "Input summary feature") and it got the results I wanted, so thank you for that!

Marijeten_Napel2
New Contributor II

Hi Floris, can you enlighten me on how to create Pie Charts in ArcGIS Pro? I have version 2.5.2. I can make all kinds of charts, but pie charts are not one of them. I don't seem to have this option? Thank you. 

0 Kudos