Select to view content in your preferred language

Grid, True, Magnetic, TM, Topo north arrow rotation at UTM zone boundary

04-05-2023 11:04 AM
ChrisWyatt
New Contributor

My map/layout area is at the western edge of a UTM zone in Alaska, about 30 km east-west in extent, where (I think):

1. grid north is "up" (UTM; 0 degrees rotation on the screen/page)
  2. true north is about 2.5 degrees east of grid north
  3. magnetic north is about 10 degrees east of true north

When I add "individual" north arrows to the layout (Grid, True, Magnetic), they appear to be dynamically rotated according the map. That's good.

But when I add the TM or Topo "compound" north arrows to the layout, they do not appear to be rotated according to the map.

• the TM north arrow is rotated such that true north is just east of "up", and grid north is several degrees west of "up"; so, not rotated enough to the east
  • the Topo north arrow shows true north as "up" (no rotation?)
  • the relative positions of the arrows seem OK; it's just not rotated or rotated enough

I haven't found a combination of options (Update Dynamically on/off; Declination Date, etc. ) that results in grid north being "up", for the TM or Topo north arrows. I'd like to use the Topo north arrow, but am I asking too much of it, or misunderstanding a difference between the Topo north arrow and the other individual north arrows?

I may resort to rotating the map/layout such that true north us up, and see if the Topo north arrow then agrees with the map. Thanks for any advice or workaround suggestions.

0 Kudos
0 Replies