Grid format doesn't open from RAID 5 array

07-09-2019 10:10 AM
ShawnLandry
New Contributor II

I am trying to find the cause of a really strange problem. At this point, the problem is academic because I already have a solution/work-around.

I have a 28GB DEM Mosaic in GRID format that will not open when it is stored on my local RAID 5 array. ArcGIS Pro 2.3 gives an error of "cannot load data - unsupported format."

• All associated GRID files are contained within a top-level folder (so no files are missing).
  • I can literally copy the folder from the RAID to another local or external non-RAID drive and open it without a problem. Same DEM that didn't open from the RAID but now opens from anywhere else.
  • The workstation has many cores and 128GB RAM, so it is not a performance problem.
  • I can open 50GB IMG files from that same RAID drive.
  • I receive the same error trying to open the DEM on another computer after mapping that RAID drive.
  • The same DEM works fine stored on an external RAID 1 array.
  • My solution was to store the DEM in a file geodatabase - which works fine on the RAID.

Any thoughts as to why the same fairly large GRID format raster can be opened on all other drives but not on a RAID 5 array?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

That sounds like a TS case, as there could be a driver-specific issue that is causing the problem. ESRI is pretty good at working with hardware vendors (e.g video card) to maintain compatibility. Is this software or hardware RAID? What vendor? What type of disks behind the RAID? Are you able to break the RAID and go to 0,1, or 10? Same problem in 2.4 or ArcMap? What errors are being thrown in the Windows Event Viewer?

0 Kudos
ShawnLandry
New Contributor II

thanks for the reply, but the problem was me

0 Kudos
ShawnLandry
New Contributor II

So, the problem turns out to be my lack of detailed knowledge about the storage limitations of ESRI Grid. One of the top level folders which contained the Grid had a space in the name. I completely forgot about this limitation singe the geodatabase, shapefiles, etc. do not have this limitation.

It is funny, because I always tell my students - 

NEVER USE A SPACE IN THE NAME OF A FILE OR FOLDER!