Getting an error 000594 when trying to convert a point feature class from shapefile to GDB

Jump to solution
02-24-2021 07:23 AM
JustinJohnston
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Everyone,

I am having trouble converting a shapefile of a point feature class to my GDB.  I have tried the Feature Class to Geodatabase tool, tried first using Feature Class to Shapefile tool then to GDB, tried Feature Class to Feature Class tool.  All of them are producing an empty Feature Class.  I get the following error when running the tools...

000594: Input feature <value>: <value>.—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

I have confirmed that all of the domain items are set to "Same as Input".  I have tried to use a different Feature Class' domain to see if that would cover the feature class I am trying to convert, but still the same error.  Feature Class to Shapefile works fine, but can't convert to GDB for some reason.  Any ideas on what I can try to get this to work?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JustinJohnston

I don't know if this was the best solution, but I ran the "Add XY Coordinates" tool for the shapefile, copied the points to an Excel file, I deleted the Z and M columns from the resulting table, I then added the Excel file to my map, then used the XY Table to Point tool to recreate the points.  I ran the Feature Class to Geodatabase tool on the resulting feature class and it got into my GDB.  The points are off by some very tiny fraction of an inch, but good enough for my purposes.

Cheers,

Justin

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
JustinJohnston

I don't know if this was the best solution, but I ran the "Add XY Coordinates" tool for the shapefile, copied the points to an Excel file, I deleted the Z and M columns from the resulting table, I then added the Excel file to my map, then used the XY Table to Point tool to recreate the points.  I ran the Feature Class to Geodatabase tool on the resulting feature class and it got into my GDB.  The points are off by some very tiny fraction of an inch, but good enough for my purposes.

Cheers,

Justin

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What are the coordinate systems?

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
JustinJohnston

Everything is in NAD_1983_StatePlane_Maryland_FIPS_1900_Feet

Lambert Conformal Conic

US Survey Feet (0.3048006096012192)

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Copy Features (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation would be my first choice if your intent is to get the shapefile into a geodatabase featureclass

... sort of retired...
JustinJohnston

Thank you Dan.  This gives the same error message.  

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Have you  tried to simply Export the shape file or perform a feature class to feature class

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
JustinJohnston

Yes, I have tried both options and get the same error.

Cheers,

Justin

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You could also check the following steps.

1. Ensure you are not in edit mode in ArcGIS Pro, and no feature is selected. 

2. Run Recalculate Feature Class Extent (Data Management)

3. Execute Feature Class to Feature Class (Conversion)

Think Location
JustinJohnston

Thank you Jayanta.  Unfortunately, Recalculate Feature Class Extent (Data Management) is not licensed with basic so I am not able to try that method to fix the issue.

0 Kudos