Select to view content in your preferred language

Georeferencing Result is Shifting After Saving

4430
15
02-07-2018 03:09 PM
MichaelMason3
New Contributor

When georeferencing in Pro 2 using control points, my images are shifting downward once I save the results. After removing and re-adding the image, and loading the control points, the control points are being displayed in the correct locations but the image is still shown as shifted downward. Even when opening in ArcMap, the image appears in the wrong place. I am using the same coordinate system as the map when georeferencing. What could be causing this?

15 Replies
mikeharol
New Contributor III

I have same problem arcgis pro 2.9

DanielCRS
New Contributor II

It looks like this exact question was posted in GIS StackExchange:

https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/270691/image-shifting-after-georeferencing-in-arcgis-pro

The basic solution there is to

-start the georeferencing process

-make a small edit (like fit to display, a manual move, scale, etc.)

-save (causing the shift)

-add control points

-save

It seems that the first save causes a shift and then subsequent saves will hold. Definitely bizarre behavior, but I too am seeing this in 2.9. I've also seen it hold after a restart, but it will briefly render the image in the original location before updating.

LanaJewell
New Contributor II

Thank you for this excellent workaround and the stackexchange link! This reply saved me a lot of headache when two of my TIFs decided to jump ship. I'm currently in 3.2.2 and still seeing this error.  

JohnMoody
New Contributor II

Two of our workstations are having this issue with some TIFs in ArcGIS Pro 3.2.0. Has anyone found a fix yet?

0 Kudos
ElizabethZizzamia1
New Contributor III

Sigh, I am also having this bizarre behavior using the Georef tool bar. I have 2 side by side drone images that just need slight adjustment. Both images adjust to the control points during the georef process until I hit the save button. Then the latitude changes to -1.### something and puts the image in Ecuador. The control points still show in the correct place. And I can't place any new points. I also can not zoom to the drone image until I exit out of the Georef tool. Then it goes to 1 degree S. I've taken screen shots of where the image is supposed to be with the control points, and where it ends up.

The first image was fixed after deleting the tfw file and starting over. The second one will not work, even when I just place one point. I started completely over with the original images and in a brand new ArcPro Project file. I've repeated this process several times now with no luck.

Here's the temporary project if anyone at ESRI  I wants to take a try.

https://richmond.box.com/s/mp1nct624g6c53kglai4g1f92tnkdg6j

 

0 Kudos
ElizabethZizzamia1
New Contributor III

I revisited this issue and starting questioning every part of my process. I started with the fresh original file that had never been referenced. I looked at the tiff's EXIF info and saw that it did have a spatial reference. I brought it into a brand new ArcGIS Pro project with just the control points. And I placed the control points with the auto adjust option. But this time I changed the Transformation Option to Adjust, not 1st order polynomial which is the default and has historically worked fine. I hope this helps someone else. I was about to give up.

0 Kudos