Georeferencing Result is Shifting After Saving

1965
9
02-07-2018 03:09 PM
MichaelMason3
New Contributor

When georeferencing in Pro 2 using control points, my images are shifting downward once I save the results. After removing and re-adding the image, and loading the control points, the control points are being displayed in the correct locations but the image is still shown as shifted downward. Even when opening in ArcMap, the image appears in the wrong place. I am using the same coordinate system as the map when georeferencing. What could be causing this?

9 Replies
LawrenceMillett1
New Contributor II

This happened to me on a couple of occasions.

I did not find a proper solution from this .... only to remove all of the referencing from the image and start again. The issue did not always reoccur/persist, as after re-starting I did eventually manage to complete the geo-referencing successfully.

Would be good to know if there is a specific reason/event that triggers the issue.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

It might be best to report this to Esri Support, and let them investigate if they can reproduce the issue with your data.

0 Kudos
LawrenceMillett1
New Contributor II

Michael - Did you ever find a reason solution for this ? I didn't report to Esri support, was just wondering if you took this any further ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
VictoriaAnderson1
New Contributor II

I have also had the same issue. I deleted a few control points and it moved back to where I sort of wanted it. But, that is not really a good solution if I wanted to make it more accurate. Has anyone found a better solution?
Thanks

0 Kudos
JillHalchin
Occasional Contributor II

It think you're hitting bug BUG-000103090, originally reported with Pro 2, then I reported it for ArcMap 10.5. It was supposedly fixed in Pro 2.1.2, but we are seeing the same problem intermittantly. The problem is only with tifs, so convert your files to jpg before trying to georeference them. If you have previously georeferenced tifs, use the Raster to Another Format tool to convert it to something other than tif.

Update, using Pro 2.1.2: it is also happening with jpgs now. Also, sometimes the image just disappears when you save georeferencing then close georef mode. Start georef mode again, and the raster reappears. The same raster will display in ArcMap 10.6.  And yet another: sometimes you click to add a control point, but the cursor never changes and you can't add a point.

All of these problems happen whether you have the Pro options set to use world files or not. We've resorted to georeferencing with 10.6. So far, ArcMap is working for us. Clearly, the bug that I was told is the cause doesn't explain all of the problems that we're seeing.

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Does the same thing happen in 2.2? And, do the computers this problem is occurring on meet the requirements in ArcGIS Pro 2.2 system requirements—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop including latest video card driver? Have you changed display mode in Pro Options? Does Troubleshooting Performance Issues in ArcGIS Pro  indicate any video problems when using the display diagnostics mode? (These are all the things TS is going to ask you). 

AliciaMetzger
New Contributor

I am currently having this issue with ArcMap 10.7.1... very annoying I have to delete the data from the folder and restart every single time I georef an image lately....

0 Kudos
James_Shively
New Contributor

The issue continues with ArcGIS Pro v2.7.2.  Our office is experiencing image shift back to the original location when saving (overwriting) as original image name. However, when saving "As New", the image stays in the georeferenced location. Not ideal since we do not want to duplicate imagery. (date: 5/13/2021)

RayMontgomery
New Contributor III

Even worse, TIFs georeferenced years ago don't display correctly at 10.7.1 

We have over 1,500 TIF files (subdivision plats) that we georeferenced over the last several years. These have the full set of TFWX, etc files for each plat. At 10.3, we could click a button on a tool we made, click on the map, and the sub plat would load into the map in the correct location.

After upgrading to 10.7.1, this only works part of the time. The rest of the time, the plat loads, but we have to use "zoom to layer" to see it. It has moved outside our city boundary and become many times the size of the entire city!  Changing the "no data" color to make it visible, the supposed extent is even larger- a square about the size of our state. Sometimes the image appears as a spotty black and white diagonal smear.

I have opened the TFWX file, and everything looks normal. These are not newly-scanned, so the issue is not caused by new scanning software variations. These are older scans that worked fine before.

If we load one of these misplaced, or misplaced and misshapen TIF images using an older machine that still has 10.3 on it, they behave correctly.  The fault is apparently not in the TIF, the TFWX, etc, but in ArcMap itself.

0 Kudos