Select to view content in your preferred language

Geoprocessing/Editing AGO Feature Layer in ArcGIS Pro is Painfully Slow

Monday
BrianShepard
New Contributor III

I'm working through the setup of Esri's Cemetery Management Solution. I've set the data source for the layers in the ArcGIS Pro Project template to the created feature layers and tables in AGO. Running geoprocessing tools (Append, Calculate Field, Delete Identical, etc.) in ArcGIS Pro on the AGO layers is painfully slow. I'm currently populating values for ~18,000 features using Field Calculator and I'm 14% complete after 25 minutes. I had to let Delete Identical run over the weekend on 19,000-20,000 features.

How can I determine what's causing such abysmal performance and improve it? 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
BrianShepard
New Contributor III

Transitioning from Arcade to SQL for Field Calculator made a huge improvement. I've been trying to force myself to use Arcade to improve my proficiency, and Esri's tasks for calculating things like "Gravesite ID" have a pre-populated Arcade statement. However, SQL statements take seconds instead of hours with Arcade. 

This document was helpful: Optimize web feature layers—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

I'll post anything else I find here. I assume this will be helpful since, in some cases, Esri's Solution Tasks seem to be set up in an inefficient manner.

0 Kudos
David_McRitchie
Esri Contributor

Hey Brian,

25 minutes certainly does sound slow and honestly I would be unsure why Arcade would be performing slower than SQL statements. I think this would be worth raising a Technical Support Case.

I wonder if this could be something specific to running this process on a network. It might be worth taking an exported copy of the feature layer and storing this locally, then testing the process again.

Given that we are using Appends and Deletes it would also be worth checking that the Spatial and Attribute field indexes as this can improve performance.

Hope that helps,

David

Esri UK -Technical Support Analyst
0 Kudos