General Function Error when Creating a Layer Package

03-15-2016 08:06 AM
TrippCorbin
Occasional Contributor

So I think I have found a bug or issue with ArcGIS Pro 1.2. I was trying to create a layer package using a layer which contains a definition query. The Create Layer Package tool generates a General Function Error every time and so does the create Map Package tool. All the required metadata is entered for the layer and the analysis tool does not indicate a problem. If I export the layer with the definition query to a new feature class/layer that contains only the features that displayed using the definition query (basically removing the need for the definition query but now having two feature classes), the Layer Package is successful.

So is this a bug,  the way it is suppose to work or me doing something wrong?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Can you provide a bit more information about your datasets?  I was just able to apply a definition query to a feature class in a file geodatabase and export a layer package without any errors.

0 Kudos
TrippCorbin
Occasional Contributor

All data is stored in a File Geodatabase located on one of my local drives. The definition query is a bit complex. It includes multiple and statements with some grouped.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Do you have ArcMap installed and can you create the layer package from ArcMap?

0 Kudos
TrippCorbin
Occasional Contributor

I do have ArcMap 10.3.1 installed on my computer. I have not tried to convert this particular layer to a layer package in ArcMap. However I created several layer packages last week using ArcMap without any issues.

0 Kudos
TrippCorbin
Occasional Contributor

So just tried creating a layer package of the same layer with the same definition query applied in ArcMap. It generated the layer package without issue in ArcMap.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Maybe you're right that there might be a big in ArcGIS Pro. Would it be worth uninstalling and reinstalling Pro? Or maybe performing a 'repair' install to see if that fixes the issue?

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Tripp,

please share your repro case with Esri Support so someone can get eyes on this issue.

0 Kudos
TrippCorbin
Occasional Contributor

Will do

0 Kudos