Format label field in symbology

Jump to solution
12-29-2021 12:17 PM
Labels (1)
JohannaKraus2
Occasional Contributor

Symbology with multiple values automatically puts a comma and space between the two field values in the Value column, but in the Label column (which gets used in the legend) it only places a comma with no space:

JohannaKraus2_0-1640808662275.png

I can manually add in a space but I would like to be able to format all the records at once - ideally it would be great to change the comma to a dash or something else.  Is this possible somehow and I just can't find it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Johanna - I know this is not the same thing but I think the logic is "yes, you can do this formatting with Python."  The Tech Article URL is here but you'd need to do some Python magic to make it work for your example. Any Python folks in this forum want to give it a go?

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Johanna - I know this is not the same thing but I think the logic is "yes, you can do this formatting with Python."  The Tech Article URL is here but you'd need to do some Python magic to make it work for your example. Any Python folks in this forum want to give it a go?

JohannaKraus2
Occasional Contributor

Yes, this is what I'm looking for - I'll give it a go.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
Jeremy_Z
Occasional Contributor

Were you able to get a working solution? I've got a map I'm working on that needs updated monthly, and I'm using a second legend as a project key for active projects. It's almost perfect, but I need...

Field 1. Field 2

I've been trying to figure it out with the python code shared, but don't know what to change to finish this. Removing the , would probably be enough if I can figure out how to have the label be both fields with a period in it instead of a comma.

GIS - Getting it Surveyed is too expensive.
0 Kudos
SukhwinderSingh
New Contributor II

Yes, you can make it change. you can edit in excel, if you have this data in csv format. In excel go to "Text to columns". you can make all value in different columns and then you can apply symbology as you like.

0 Kudos
JohannaKraus2
Occasional Contributor

I'm not sure I understand this.  I don't see a way to export the label field from the symbology tab or import it back in.

0 Kudos