Select to view content in your preferred language

Finding points in a polygon

03-06-2024 06:37 AM
AdenBetman
New Contributor II

Is there a way to find how many points fall within a polygon without creating a new layer like summarize within does?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Ed_
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

Good morning @AdenBetman, yes it is, please look at Select features by location

Cheers

Question | Analyze | Visualize
0 Kudos
AdenBetman
New Contributor II

Thank you for responding Ed. I love the profile picture. This just highlights the points for selection no? I should've given more detail, I have a multi-ring buffer with distances of .5, 1, and 1.5 all in miles. I would like to try and find how many points fall within each ring.

Ed_
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

I see in that case, one way could be (granted it will require creating new layers) that split the buffers based on the distance attribute using `Split by Attribute` tool. Then use the `Select by location` tool (as this will not create a new layer) to find/select/highlight points with in each of those individual buffers. 

Question | Analyze | Visualize
0 Kudos
Dale_Honeycutt
Occasional Contributor II

I don't think there's a way to do the count without creating a new dataset (layer).  Have you looked at Spatial Join? The Target Features parameter would be your points, the Join Features would be your polygons, Join Operation is 'join one to one', Match Option is Within.  For the Field Map, I'd only keep the object ID of the Join Features.  The output will have Join_Count - the number of points in each polygon.  

It's been a while since I've used Spatial Join, so I'd have to experiment with some actual data (instead of searching my memory bank) to get the exact methodology.  But fer sure Spatial Join will get you there.

0 Kudos