Find points with the same attribute in multiple locations

03-25-2022 09:26 AM
MattCotterill
Occasional Contributor

Hi all,

Our City has a two hour time limit for parking in residential areas for non-permitted vehicles. We trying to quantify how often non-permitted vehicles move from one block to another to avoid being ticketed. We are using data from our Parking Enforcement's license plate readers to determine this. It contains the license plate, lat/long data, geocoded address info, time stamp, and whether or not the vehicle is permitted. I have selected the points that fall in the enforced areas and created a definition query to show only non-permitted vehicles. When a license plate is read at the same location, the lat/long information is slightly different, but the address attribute tends to be the same. What is the most efficient way to find occurrences of the same license plate appearing at multiple addresses?

Thanks!
Matt

0 Kudos
16 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

This would  be the badger - Find Identical (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation
Input fields - license plate, address

MattCotterill
Occasional Contributor

Hmmm.. I'm getting empty outputs. I've tried only using Plate_value as a field as well as other variants. I know for a fact that there are multiple occurrances. Also, Would this only output pionts that are identical in both Plate_value and Address? I'm looking for ones that are identical in Plate-Value and different in Address

MattCotterill_0-1648230206160.png

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

ah of course.

I think this is crying out for Python if you have any experience with it?  It could also be done with 2 separate field calculations with code blocks if necessary.

The Frequency tool isn't appropriate either I don't believe.

0 Kudos
MattCotterill
Occasional Contributor

I'd call myself a beginner with Python, but I'm trying to improve that skill set. I'm not sure where I would start with this task.

0 Kudos
KimGarbade
Occasional Contributor III

You can use the frequency geoprocessing tool:

Original Data: 

KimGarbade_1-1648229739336.png

Frequency Table generated by tool:

KimGarbade_2-1648229769020.png

0 Kudos
MattCotterill
Occasional Contributor

Hmmm... I'm getting an empty output with this one as well. But that looks like what I'm looking for.

MattCotterill_0-1648231143096.png

0 Kudos
KimGarbade

Hmmm.... I didn't do anything "fancy" (below).  Can you share a screen shot of your data's table as an example? Also, what are the field definitions of "Plate_value" and "Address"?

KimGarbade_0-1648232063887.png

0 Kudos
MattCotterill
Occasional Contributor

Plate_value and Address are both text fields. Is that what you're asking? I'm getting the same error message when I try the "Find Identical" tool (see above) so maybe there's a problem with the feature class?

MattCotterill_0-1648232849211.png

0 Kudos
KimGarbade

That is indeed what I was asking.

That plate value field is quite the value... let me test with a GUID like number and very verbose addresses... Still works for me (see below). 

Have you limited your selected features somehow.. you mentioned a definition query (I also applied one to my test and it had not effect on it working, but maybe yours returns zero records or something odd like that).  You could try export your data to a new file GDB and then running the tool against that data using the same file GDB to hold the generated stats table.

KimGarbade_0-1648234056821.png

0 Kudos