Select to view content in your preferred language

Fill Polygon A with Maximum number of Polygon B

11-01-2023 12:26 PM
Labels (2)
Alvarado10
Emerging Contributor

I want to find how many of Polygon B can fit into Polygon A. I have a database of water bodies in the US as polygons of various unique shapes, 'Polygon A'. I have another layer with 'Polygon B'. Does ArcGIS have a tool to calculate how many times I could fill Polygon B into each waterbody polygon without Polygon B overlapping with itself? 

Right now, I have a process that utilizes the Intersect Analysis tool however, I am hoping there is a tool that would Fill all water body polygons with the maximum number of Polygon B. Polygon B is a simple circle and can be converted into a different layer type (polyline etc) if needed. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Alvarado10
Emerging Contributor

ArcGIS polygon fill sample.png

Above is a photo with the desired outcome from the analysis

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You are looking for "circle packing"

python - Covering irregular region with circles - Stack Overflow

and there are no builtin tools.

Your best approximation would be to

• generate a hexagonal grid in your polygon extents
  • take the centroid of each centroid
  • buffer the centroid
  • keep the circles (aka, buffers) that are completely within the polygon bounds

It won't be exact since you might have to algorithmically jiggle the start coordinates of the hexagon-ization to fit in a few more.

Not an easy task... but can be "close enough" for many purposes

... sort of retired...
Alvarado10
Emerging Contributor

Thanks Dan!

What tool would you recommend to keep the circles? There's a few options that work but with the large amount of data, processing time is quite slow. I would like to have a table generated that shows the original data from the water body layer with a new column showing how many circles are contained within each waterbody feature. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The process I described is meant to do one water body at a time.  "circle packing" is complex

A close approximation would be to use hexagonal tiling of the whole area, then intersect or spatial join these to the water body layer

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos