File geodatabase has become locked - "do not have permissions to edit"

06-07-2019 10:00 AM
RickBoggs1
New Contributor III

Hi all, 

I am working from ArcGIS Pro 2.3.3, win 10 64bit, with a file database that is stored on a network drive. After running the Feature Class to Feature Class tool and loading in some data to the new feature class, my database has become locked. When I try to edit any of the information within the database, I get an error message in Pro which states "unable to edit feature". I opened Desktop and I get an error message saying that "I do not have the required permissions".

• I have checked in the file folder to see if there were some schema lock files that I could delete, nothing there.
  • The folder is not read only.
  • I copied the file folder onto my desktop to see if that made any difference, no change. 
  • My database is not compressed. 
  • I exported a feature class out of the database and then was able to edit it, but I do not seem to be able to replicate/copy the database itself using ESRI tools.

While I have the ability to recover my database, I am concerned that this issue will present itself again when I run the tool in the future. 

Does anyone know what could be going on?

This thread is for desktop and mentions some issues. - https://community.esri.com/thread/63440 

One person reported an issue using pro and something that may be a result of how metadata is being stored. :

"In my case I was using arc pro, on a server network. Would used a FC to FC. Would then become read -only. I would right click on my new feature class>Properties>Metadata

The first box is a drop down, I chose "Layer has its own metadata""

0 Kudos
10 Replies
CatherineCronlund
New Contributor II

I ran into a similar issue while using ArcGIS Pro 2.7.2 multiple times. Has anyone figured out why this is happening? It is only happening with one of my geodatabases (of course it has to be the one I use most often). I know I have read and write privileges and there is not a lock (that I can find at least) in the geodatabase but it still says it is an un-editable layer. 

0 Kudos