Select to view content in your preferred language

Field Maps not showing fields

Jump to solution
11-22-2022 12:01 PM
piratecheese
New Contributor III

I'm having an issue where fields are editable in Pro and Online, but not Field Maps. There are no contingent values applied to fields for this feature or other effected features. See pictures and captions below.

Summited to pro as this is where I started this feature's life and therefore is the first place I could make a mistake upstream.

Set up the field in Pro. All visible, none read only.Set up the field in Pro. All visible, none read only.Uploaded to Online. I can edit and submit with all fieldsUploaded to Online. I can edit and submit with all fieldsBut when I collect in field maps, the field isn't available.But when I collect in field maps, the field isn't available.After submitting, the fields I couldn't edit are not visible.After submitting, the fields I couldn't edit are not visible.No red flags on the feature settings in OnlineNo red flags on the feature settings in Online

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AlfredBaldenweck
MVP Regular Contributor

My apologies, I wrote that original reply in a hurry, so I wasn't as thorough as I could have been.

Regarding the first question, I think it's possible that you didn't save the WebMap when you made the form, so it wasn't there when you revisited it. Otherwise, yeah, there's not a default form.

Regarding the second question: Pop-ups and forms are edited in two different places.

I'm going to answer the AGOL side first, then the Pro approach. (Things might change if you're publishing a service from an enterprise GDB, this covers hosted features on AGOL.)

AGOL:
So, the bad news is that you do need to configure the forms per map, per feature class, as best I can tell. Unfortunately, you can't configure the form as a default through the Visualization tab on the Item detail page.

However, you can convert the popup (Gonna cover editing the pop-up, too), and the pop-up can be set as a default. The work flow for configuring the popup for each individual map is the same, but you do in the webmap, not on the Item Details page.

1. Go to the item's detail page, then click on the Visualization tab AlfredBaldenweck_1-1670525760917.png
  2. Select the layer you want, then click the "Pop-ups" button.
    AlfredBaldenweck_0-1670525673358.png
  3. My current pop-up looks like this:
    AlfredBaldenweck_2-1670525875705.png
  4. Go to Fields List
    AlfredBaldenweck_3-1670525918447.png
  5. I don't want to see the State (Field2) in my popup, so I'm going to remove it from the listAlfredBaldenweck_4-1670525986397.png
  6. After making your changes, save in the upper left
    AlfredBaldenweck_5-1670526020178.png

This has set the default pop-up for the layer. It can be customized in webmaps as desired.

Pro:

1. Right click your layer and press " Configure Pop-ups"
  2. Turn off/on the fields you want
     AlfredBaldenweck_6-1670526451576.png
  3. Export to AGOL 

Next steps:

Once you have your layer, put it in your webmap, create a form from the pop-up, and don't forget to save.

• Saving through the Webmap:  Click okay, then save the mapAlfredBaldenweck_9-1670527400097.png
    AlfredBaldenweck_10-1670527417385.png
  • Saving through the FieldMaps website: AlfredBaldenweck_8-1670527372015.png

In this case, I want users to edit the State, but I don't want to see it after the fact. So I'm going to drag the field into the form, so it'll show up during collection, but not in the pop-up after collection. (You can of course make it so you can see things in the pop-u that aren't available during collection).

AlfredBaldenweck_7-1670527015199.png

Final result:

IMG_0002.PNG

IMG_0003.PNG

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
AlfredBaldenweck
MVP Regular Contributor

That's a FieldMaps issue, but it should be pretty easily solved.

Either in the FieldMaps Site or from New Map Viewer , go to the form for the feature class.

AlfredBaldenweck_0-1669659519766.png 

FieldMaps web app

AlfredBaldenweck_1-1669659617493.png

MapViewer

From there, you can add the fields to the form that you want 

AlfredBaldenweck_2-1669659732858.png

The second part, where the fields aren't visible after editing, is determined by your popup.

piratecheese
New Contributor III

Apologies for the late response.

This is a good band aid, and may point to the deeper issue.

My main issue with this solution is that I would have to create a form for each of the ~20 features that I have, every time I upload a new project. That seems error prone and inefficient.

I don't know if it's correct that when I first entered the field map I was shown the message below. This tells me that despite seeing a form before setting this up, I have no forms. Is this normal or does it suggest I made an error in Pro?

piratecheese_2-1670513527747.png

You said that fields wouldn't be visible after editing and that this is a popup issue. I'm having a hard time finding the option to make it always visible.

piratecheese_5-1670513850201.png

piratecheese_6-1670513933078.png

Also, I asked the question in this community due to the suspicion that mistakes in Pro caused FieldMaps to not operate correctly.

0 Kudos
AlfredBaldenweck
MVP Regular Contributor

My apologies, I wrote that original reply in a hurry, so I wasn't as thorough as I could have been.

Regarding the first question, I think it's possible that you didn't save the WebMap when you made the form, so it wasn't there when you revisited it. Otherwise, yeah, there's not a default form.

Regarding the second question: Pop-ups and forms are edited in two different places.

I'm going to answer the AGOL side first, then the Pro approach. (Things might change if you're publishing a service from an enterprise GDB, this covers hosted features on AGOL.)

AGOL:
So, the bad news is that you do need to configure the forms per map, per feature class, as best I can tell. Unfortunately, you can't configure the form as a default through the Visualization tab on the Item detail page.

However, you can convert the popup (Gonna cover editing the pop-up, too), and the pop-up can be set as a default. The work flow for configuring the popup for each individual map is the same, but you do in the webmap, not on the Item Details page.

1. Go to the item's detail page, then click on the Visualization tab AlfredBaldenweck_1-1670525760917.png
  2. Select the layer you want, then click the "Pop-ups" button.
    AlfredBaldenweck_0-1670525673358.png
  3. My current pop-up looks like this:
    AlfredBaldenweck_2-1670525875705.png
  4. Go to Fields List
    AlfredBaldenweck_3-1670525918447.png
  5. I don't want to see the State (Field2) in my popup, so I'm going to remove it from the listAlfredBaldenweck_4-1670525986397.png
  6. After making your changes, save in the upper left
    AlfredBaldenweck_5-1670526020178.png

This has set the default pop-up for the layer. It can be customized in webmaps as desired.

Pro:

1. Right click your layer and press " Configure Pop-ups"
  2. Turn off/on the fields you want
     AlfredBaldenweck_6-1670526451576.png
  3. Export to AGOL 

Next steps:

Once you have your layer, put it in your webmap, create a form from the pop-up, and don't forget to save.

• Saving through the Webmap:  Click okay, then save the mapAlfredBaldenweck_9-1670527400097.png
    AlfredBaldenweck_10-1670527417385.png
  • Saving through the FieldMaps website: AlfredBaldenweck_8-1670527372015.png

In this case, I want users to edit the State, but I don't want to see it after the fact. So I'm going to drag the field into the form, so it'll show up during collection, but not in the pop-up after collection. (You can of course make it so you can see things in the pop-u that aren't available during collection).

AlfredBaldenweck_7-1670527015199.png

Final result:

IMG_0002.PNG

IMG_0003.PNG

Hope this helps!

piratecheese
New Contributor III

Should have mentioned im on pro. I saw the AGOL solution and panicked. the PRO solution is best for me I think, as it will let me shoot out very similar GDBs to multiple maps without having to configure each time 

0 Kudos
AlfredBaldenweck
MVP Regular Contributor

As an update, it looks like starting in February, we'll be able to save default forms by layer, rather than by map (no more configuring for each map) ArcGIS Field Maps Early Access Update (January 2023) (esri.com)

0 Kudos