FGDC spatial reference info missing when using Export Metadata

Jump to solution
08-20-2020 02:30 PM
EvanThoms
Occasional Contributor II

When I export metadata to the FGDC standard using the Export Metadata tool in ArcGIS Pro 2.5.0, the spatial reference information section, aka the spref element, is missing. The information is shown when I view the item description, but it doesn't get exported. I have tried this with multiple feature classes from different file gdbs. For context, the Export Metadata tool in ArcMap will export the section correctly from the same data sources. I have tried upgrading the file geodatabases and synchronizing the metadata and nothing works. Am I missing a step? Can't find any discussion of this anywhere.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EvanThoms1
New Contributor III

Any progress on a solution to this bug? It is still marked as 'in product plan'.

ArcMap must be removed from all USGS computers by February 2024. When that happens, there will be no arcpy method to export the spref node into CSDGM metadata. For ArcGIS Pro we have been using a workaround that uses code from the Metadata Wizard library, but the resulting XML files for some spatial references are not completely valid.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LisaDong
Esri Contributor

Hi Evan, warm greetings. It was nice working with you on the case. For anyone else who has the same question, this is a known defect: 

• BUG-000124294- In ArcGIS Pro, when an Extensible Markup Language (XML) file is generated using the Export Metadata command from the catalog view, it fails to add the spatial reference or 'spref' syntax information in the file.
  • Current Status: In Product Plan
  • Statuses- https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-8293-statuses-for-arcgis-ideas
  • Workaround: Use the ArcCatalog stand-alone application.
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Update: As of today (2.7.1 release) BUG-000124294 is still marked as "In Product Plan"

0 Kudos
EvanThoms1
New Contributor III

Any progress on a solution to this bug? It is still marked as 'in product plan'.

ArcMap must be removed from all USGS computers by February 2024. When that happens, there will be no arcpy method to export the spref node into CSDGM metadata. For ArcGIS Pro we have been using a workaround that uses code from the Metadata Wizard library, but the resulting XML files for some spatial references are not completely valid.

0 Kudos