Select to view content in your preferred language

Feature Layer inconsistently not editable in arcGIS Pro, only in Arcgis Online

yesterday
wabritton
New Contributor

A online hosted feature layer is editable online but not in the desktop arcGIS Pro.  The layer is used for polygons.  I can create two polygons, then I can't edit them or delete them.  And at that point I can't create any more polygons either.  "Failed to create.  Layer is not editable"  And for polygons that can't be deleted with error: "Delete selected features failed.  Layer is not editable."  Sometimes the polygons can be edited, but when the edits are then saved there is a "save edits failed. General function failure [Error code:1500. Description: Incorrect geometry type...] and the edits are undone and the polygons reverted.  

But these newly created polygons which are not able to be deleted/edited in arcGIS Pro can be deleted/edited online in the map viewer.  I have checked and the layer is set to be editable online.  

Any help is appreciated!Screenshot 2024-07-01 101416.png

2 Replies
Georgios-NektariosTselos
New Contributor III

Hello @wabritton , 

First of all use the Repair Geometry tool.
The Check Geometry tool generates a report of all features with geometry problems in the feature classes. To fix these problems.
Then if this tool doesn't work, try the next directions and i think these will be work

First, i suggest to test this - copy the data to a local file geodatabase.Then add the data to a map in a new project and try to open . Does the error continue to exist? If not, then maybe there's something with the settings for the network drive.

Also you can check these links maybe you will find useful

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/validating-data/invalid-geometry.htm 

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/checking-and-repairing-geome... 

Best Regards 

Georgios-Nektarios Tselos

wabritton
New Contributor

If the data is copied to a local file the issue goes away and the polygons can be created, edited, and saved as normal.  Like I said the online layer is set to be editable and no settings have been changed, so I don't know what could be causing this although I agree it seems to be with the online feature.