Feature Class to Feature Class versus Feature Class to Geodatabase?

06-29-2017 02:37 PM
MaxMarno
New Contributor III

What is the difference between these two tools?  At what level to each of them operate and in what circumstances is one preferable to the other?

When the tools are run, and a different coordinate system is specified, are the data actually projected?

Also how does the 'right click> Export Features' fit in here?

ArcGIS Pro 2.0

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

feature-class-to-feature-class... does the following

Converts a shapefile, coverage feature class, or geodatabase feature class to a shapefile or geodatabase feature class.

However, there are a variety of rules that apply to field mapping and joins that are applicable here that aren't elsewhere.

feature-class-to-geodatabase

appears to do the same, but the outputname is based on the input name

right-click only allows for the output geodatabase specification and the filename change

These are just base differences between the three.  A read of the above links should be considered if you have specific requirements regarding the nature of the transfer, the destination and final properties.

shan_sarkar
Occasional Contributor III

Max,

Feature class to Feature class tool primarily requires 3 input parameters from the user, i.e. Input Feature class, Output Geodatabase Location along with the name of the geodatabase and the Output Feature class name and it additionally allows the user to perform field mapping which is helpful in case the user wants to drop some fields or rename or add a new ones in the final output. If you choose to create the output feature class in an enterprise geodatabase you can even use the config_keyword from within the same tool interface. This tool will export only one feature class at a time.

Refer Feature Class to Feature Class—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

When we are talking about the Feature Class to Geodatabase, this tool requires only 2 parameters from the user, i.e. One or more Input Feature Class and Output Geodatabase Location along with the name of the geodatabase. This tool will simply export the feature classes exactly the way are, in this case there is no option to alter the fields from within the tool (i.e. Adding new fields, deleting existing fields or altering field names is not possible from the within the tool). In case if your output is going to reside in an enterprise geodatabase the user will have the provide the config_keyword from the environment settings of the tool (Output CONFIG Keyword (Environment setting)—Help | ArcGIS Desktop ) . This tool has the capability to export multiple feature classes in the same geodatabase.

Refer Feature Class To Geodatabase—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

I hope this helps!

~Shan

~Shan