Failing in using Data Interoperability in PRO to convert IFC solids into multipatch featureclasses

Jump to solution
05-30-2017 02:40 AM
AlessandroValra
Occasional Contributor III

I am trying to use the Data Interoperability extension within ArcGIS Pro (1.4.1) to reproduce what I was able to do from within ArcMap: converting a IFC to a ESRI fGDB format. The IFC has solid geometries and I would need to export them as multipatch. I attached the IFC if anybody is interested in helping.

First thing I noted: there is no Quick Import in PRO. With ArcMap, I sued to use the Quick Import with the settings provided in this ESRI post and the translation was succesfull.

In PRO I tried this workflow with no success (steps, figures, and results):

• Creation of a new ETL Tool from the Project Pane

Creation of a new ETL Tool from the Project Pane

• Location and Name choice

Location and Name choice

• Generate Workspace Window settings (Coord. System should be correct, and it worked with the Quick Import in ArcMap)

Generate Workspace Window settings

IFC parameters settings as in ESRI post.

• Choice of the Feature Types (I left everything checked as the default)

Choice of the Feature Types (I left everything checked as the default)

• Model execution (through the green RUN button)

Model execution (through the green RUN button)

The output is just a bunch of Tables and some empty linear featureclasses. Also, I attached the Translation Log if it might help.

(wrong) Result of the whole process.

From ArcMap, using the same dataset, same coordinate system, and same IFC parameters as in the linked post, I am able to export multipatch geometries. Unfortunately, ArcMap is not an option right now, and I have to stick with PRO to do this. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Finally, I attached the zipped GDB derived from this process (test_DataInteropPRO_SR.gdb.zip).

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Alessandro

My apologies for not being specific, the File Geodatabase API writer does not support multipatch writing:

Esri Geodatabase (File Geodatabase API) Quick Facts 

Regards

Bruce

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Alessandro

I successfully processed your data, please see the parameters in the attached ETL tool.

Regards

Bruce

0 Kudos
AlessandroValra

Thanks Bruce for taking the time to test it. Anyway, I will come back to this and possibly mark your answer as correct, but I would need time to see the differences in the settings (I am newbie with FME stuff). What I saw looking at the parameters quickly, is that we used a different output format (you chose GEODATABASE_FILE (ArcObjects) I have FILEGDB). Also, you have two voices under Feature Types under the output which I don't have, namely "PropertySetDefinition" and "QuantitySetDefinition". Again, I'll ome back to this as soon as I can. Thanks for the response, and meanwhile if you could give me some details on what you did it would be very appreciated.

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Alessandro

My apologies for not being specific, the File Geodatabase API writer does not support multipatch writing:

Esri Geodatabase (File Geodatabase API) Quick Facts 

Regards

Bruce

0 Kudos
AlessandroValra

This is great news! Indeed, I tried the exact same procedure I described above, this time choosing "GEODATABASE_FILE (ArcObjects)" as output format instead of "File Geodatabase API". Everything worked just fine! Thank you.

0 Kudos