Failed to publish one or more web layers ArcGIS Pro to Portal

Jump to solution
08-03-2021 12:33 PM
AmyRoust
Occasional Contributor III

I'm at a loss for why I keep failing to publish a web map from ArcGIS Pro to ArcGIS Portal 10.8.1. I was able to get two maps published successfully, so I know it's not a permissions issue. Even when I pare down the map to a single layer with next to no attributes, I get the same basic error messages:

Status: Failed ErrorMessage: Failed to publish web layer Test_WFL1.

Status: Failed ErrorMessage: Failed to publish one or more web layers

I'm trying to copy the data since my Portal is not federated with Server.

None of the forums I've found so far have applied to my situation - I don't have a bad date field in any layer and I'm not trying to automate it with a script. Anyone else having this issue?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonahLay
Esri Contributor

Yes, you will need to federate your server to the portal in order to publish. More specifically, the server needs to be designated as a hosting server.

Please see this help topic for more information: https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/portal/latest/use/hosted-web-layers.htm 

Best,

Jonah

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DrVSSKiran
Occasional Contributor II

Have you tried to publish the layer with dofferent name?

0 Kudos
AmyRoust

Yes. The name is always simple: just alpha characters, no spaces.

0 Kudos
JonahLay
Esri Contributor

Hi Amy,

When you share the web feature layer individually (not in a web map), does it fail? Can you determine if there is a particular layer in your map that is responsible for the publishing failure?

Your server must be federated with you portal to publish a web feature layer. Try checking your server logs - is there information there about the failure?

Thanks,

Jonah

0 Kudos
AmyRoust

Jonah, in your reply, you wrote: "Your server must be federated with you portal to publish a web feature layer." Is that true if I am copying the data to the server instead of using a registered database? 

I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that using the copy method would only use Portal and Data Store. If Server is a required component of the copy data method, then I can see why being unfederated would be a deal breaker.

0 Kudos
JonahLay
Esri Contributor

Yes, you will need to federate your server to the portal in order to publish. More specifically, the server needs to be designated as a hosting server.

Please see this help topic for more information: https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/portal/latest/use/hosted-web-layers.htm 

Best,

Jonah

0 Kudos
AmyRoust

Good to know! Thanks, Jonah.

0 Kudos
NicoleLavoie1
New Contributor

This error happened to me as well for a different reason. The solution, which I have not yet seen posted, was that I had a definition query that used "is above average". Changing the DQ to "includes the values" solved the error. 

0 Kudos