Failed to open map view

Jump to solution
09-01-2021 11:43 PM
NadaKadhim
New Contributor III
Hello everyone,

I have been working for 15 days on an important project. Every step/process that I was working on I saved it. When I open ArcGIS Pro (version 2.8) I found this message.

Please, could you help me in fixing this issue as soon as possible?
I'll highly appreciate your help.
Thank you.
Best regards,

2021-09-01_231007.png

Tags (2)
64 Replies
CoryLanghoff1
New Contributor II

I just wrapped up a two week effort to try and consistently reproduce this error with little luck.  Out of 21 attempts running through a lab exercise where many students were having this issue, the problem occurred four times.  The rest of the attempt ended without the error cropping up.  I started a ticket with ESRI support and they also found that it was an inconsistent error.  In the end the support ticket was closed and the issue was logged as an inconsistent bug.  At least they are certainly aware of it now.  Hopefully it will be resolved in future versions. 

The recommendation for now is to start a new project, perform all of the raster processing steps necessary, including using the reclassify tool, in one sitting.  The data should be fine in the geodatabase  Then start a new project or return to your project in progress before the raster steps and add the data back into that.  Kind of a pain that we were not able to reproduce this but at least it does not seem to be too much of a stumbling block.

0 Kudos
JohnHughson
New Contributor II

Hello CoryLanghoff1, would you happen to have a BUG number for that? I might be witnessing the same thing here. 

Kind regards,

John

0 Kudos
CoryLanghoff1
New Contributor II

John, the bug number is 

• BUG: BUG-000166072  
0 Kudos
tschwartz_RES
New Contributor II

Same issue here, all I did was try to Duplicate the map in question, it sat there and spun for a while and then came the popup with the error message "Failed to Open Map View".  Closing the project and re-opening did not solve the issue.   

In my case I was simply trying to duplicate the map in question from the Catalog pane.

ArcGIS Pro 3.2.2 and no files or data are located on OneDrive so this is not related to that.

0 Kudos
KatyAppleton1
Occasional Contributor II

We see this occasionally, but not in a replicable way, in our teaching (classes of 50-70 each semester, Pro 3.2). It causes immense frustration if it happens around deadlines. I have one come up today, which is why I found this thread. Unfortunately for troubleshooting purposes students are not always good at documenting what they have done (outside the History panel which is now inaccessible!) but it is certainly possible that Reclassify may have been used recently.

We already recommend regular backups via zipping the project folder (data and .aprx) and saving the zip to OneDrive. But of course not everyone does this. And if the problem comes with doing a Save As after using Reclassify (per the bug report), we might be contributing to it by recommending a periodic Save As to ensure there are backup versions of the .aprx!

Is there any point in raising with support now?

0 Kudos