Extremely slow to open/close project

07-29-2015 07:07 AM
AliForrester
New Contributor II

It takes about 5-10 min for me to open a project.  I meet all the spec requirements and then some.  Once the project finally opens, the performance is great.  The same thing happens when I try to close a project, and sometimes i have to do a hard close through task manager as the program appears "stuck".  Any thoughts as to why this is happening?

9 Replies
GraemeBrowning
Occasional Contributor III

In my project which takes 5-10 mins at the "Opening Project" stage, I have 4 maps and 3 basemaps, as well as a layout that has a map frame for each of them plus about another 30 layout elements.

I suspect that the only way that I will be able to speed it up will be to try and reduce the number of maps.

Originally, I thought layers accessing enterprise geodatabase layers may have been the main issue but even when I switch this to being all local (file geodatabase) subsets of those layers the slow "Opening Project" remains.

A tool which could monitor and report on what takes the time when "Opening Project" would be very useful.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Graeme,

Try using the ArcMon diagnostic tool within Pro to see what process its waiting on.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Nice addition!

0 Kudos
GraemeBrowning

Thanks Sean

I had tried to use that but had not succeeded in opening it using Ctrl-Alt-M while "Opening Project" was proceeding.

I now realize that I should start ArcGIS Pro, then  Ctrl-Alt-M, before opening the project.

Now I just have to try and figure what it is telling me.

There seem to be some 25 second hangs so I'll use that blog post to try and understand them.

0 Kudos
GraemeBrowning

I'm starting to get a feel for ArcMon and it appears that the majority of the time (about 100 seconds each) is going on opening three maps that have their file geodatabase feature classes stored in GDA94 (GCS) being displayed in three MGA Zones (PCS).

I do this so that the same project can be used to support deciding on the fly which of those MGA Zones should be used to display the data (my ArcPy code makes the others invisible) based on where in the map series (cursor of a map index feature class; not in-built Map Series) a particular map sheet is located.

In ArcMap I could have decided the spatial reference of a single data frame as the script runs, but in Pro the map frame is "locked" to a map and it is the map that has the coordinate system rather than the map frame.  If there is another way to support this requirement I would be keen to know it.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Thanks Sean, I'm going to have to check this out!

0 Kudos
CraigWilliams
Esri Contributor

Graeme,

Project opening performance has been a major focus for us in ArcGIS Pro 2.0.0 development.  We've optimized opening performance of individual maps and also performance of larger projects containing multiple maps, layouts, etc.  We hope you see the benefits of this work once 2.0.0 is released.

Craig

GraemeBrowning

Thanks Craig

I'm participating in 2.0 Beta so I'll try to extract this project from the enterprise it sits in to try opening it on my personal laptop that is at 2.0 Beta.

- Graeme

0 Kudos
Göran
by
New Contributor III

Did you get any increase in performance? I seem to be running 2.6.3 and experience the same problem you describe. I would have believed all my layers are in the same reference system but I haven't actually checked (since the project file is still 'Opening Project....'

0 Kudos