Extracting Addresses within a polygon

Jump to solution
03-11-2021 06:42 AM
CCollver
New Contributor

I am new to ArcGis and this forum.  I am having troubles trying to extract address from within a polygon.  The odd part being that it seems to work "sometimes" as I have been successful twice and able to export as a .csv.  I have a layer of addresses which include lat/long populated on my project.  I created a polygon on the same project map around a subset of points that I wish to extract.  After selecting my polygon in the contents > selecting Spatial Join > Target Features of my address layer > Join Features of my Polygon > Match Option Completely Within.  I continue to get all address from the layer and not just those within the polygon.  I have to assume I am either forgetting a step or doing something in the wrong order, as again yesterday I was able to do this successfully twice.  Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

And if you are doing a Spatial Join, please ensure to uncheck the checkbox for "Keep All Target Features". This will also give you the desired result.

Think Location

View solution in original post

7 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Rather than going through a spatial join, consider using a Select by Location operation. Then you can export just that selection.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
CCollver
New Contributor

I will review the process and give it a try, Thanks.

0 Kudos
CCollver
New Contributor

I tried this and it only gives me the number of points within the polygon and no way to export the details of the selected features.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Looking for the subset of the of points alongwith the address information (stored in polygon)?

Intersect (Analysis)  is what you should do.

Keep both the layers as inputs. And keep Output Type as Points.

Think Location
0 Kudos
CCollver
New Contributor

Gonna try this next, thank you.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

And if you are doing a Spatial Join, please ensure to uncheck the checkbox for "Keep All Target Features". This will also give you the desired result.

Think Location
CCollver
New Contributor

This did solve my problem.  Thank you again, much appreciated.

0 Kudos