Need Assistance with ArcGIS Pro Split Raster

Jump to solution
03-10-2021 08:54 AM
StevenDicks1
New Contributor II

My end goal is to insert images into a PowerPoint. I have a 3 band 8-bit image stored in a FGDB (see  InputFile screenshot). I am using the Split Raster tool to split it into approximate thirds using 3 polygons, with the output going to a TIF file (see RasterSplitTool screenshot). The problem I am having is the tool is outputting a 16-bit per band file that Windows programs can't handle (PowerPoint, Paint, etc.). ArcGIS Pro displays them fine (see OutputFile screenshot).

Note that I used the Split Raster tool to successfully split 8-bit per band TIFs, so I am assuming it has something to do with the input files coming from a FGDB.

It's probably something easy I am missing, but I can't figure out how to get Split Raster to output 8-bit per band files. Any help identifying my obvious oversight would be appreciated.Input FileInput FileRaster Split ParmetersRaster Split ParmetersOutput FileOutput File

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

I found this issue https://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/QlVHLTAwMDExNjYzMA== which seems to describe what you are seeing.  See the Additional Information:

KoryKramer_0-1615474272443.png

So we can't know for sure without actually having the data.  If you make the clipping geometry match the pixels, see if it works.

Another workaround (though I'm not sure it is the "correct" way to do this) is to set the NoData value to 0.  Does that then produce an 8-bit output for you?

View solution in original post

2 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

I found this issue https://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/QlVHLTAwMDExNjYzMA== which seems to describe what you are seeing.  See the Additional Information:

KoryKramer_0-1615474272443.png

So we can't know for sure without actually having the data.  If you make the clipping geometry match the pixels, see if it works.

Another workaround (though I'm not sure it is the "correct" way to do this) is to set the NoData value to 0.  Does that then produce an 8-bit output for you?

StevenDicks1
New Contributor II

Kory,

Thanks for the input. My first inclination was to say "This can't even be close to a solution to my problem!". Luckily as I have aged I have learned to not go with my first inclination and to use my brain instead😲! Apparently the NoData default is a big number (more than fits in 8 bits) so it created 16 bit bands. When I set the NoData to zero it created an 8-bit image. This solves my problem. I am not sure why it didn't have the same problem when I split a non-FGDB TIF file, but at least I have something I can work with in the short term. I'll do some more testing to see if I can better understand what is going on, but it's not a high priority at this time. Thanks for the help!