Extract by Mask returns Geometry Operation Cancelled

Jump to solution
11-17-2021 04:31 PM
FRAPKimberlyWallin
New Contributor II

I'm trying to clip a raster to a vector feature class using Extract by Mask (although I've also tried Clip Raster, with the same resulting error).  I'm licensed to use Spatial Analyst.  Other similar questions on the forum led me to think it was a projection problem--I projected the vector to the same projection as the raster with the same resulting error.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
FRAPKimberlyWallin
New Contributor II

Data was stored in a drive that was keeping it as read-only.  Moved project and data to the C: drive and worked like a charm.

View solution in original post

17 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What is the coordinate system? and what are the extents of the geometries to see if they overlap.

Can you record the error message number if there is any.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
FRAPKimberlyWallin
New Contributor II

both are in NAD 83

"ERROR 002834: The geometry operation was canceled."

FRAPKimberlyWallin_0-1637255246526.png

0 Kudos
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

and what is the error text?

0 Kudos
FRAPKimberlyWallin
New Contributor II

ERROR 002834: The geometry operation was canceled.

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It's possible the polygon is corrupt, try checking it with Check Geometry tool. The other thing that comes to mind is your polygon may be too complex for these tools to handle (ie many vertices) in which case making a copy of the polygon feature class and running Generalize on the copy may help.

0 Kudos
FRAPKimberlyWallin
New Contributor II

Check Geometry returned no problems, and after I Generalized the polygon, I'm still getting the same error message:

0 Kudos
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

The polygon looks like it is multipart, e.g. the the islands off the cost. I have never tried extract by mask with a multipart polygon. What happens if you remove the islands? You could also simplify (reduce the number of vertexes) the mask polygon as @curtvprice  suggested.    

If this was me I would create a very simple test polygon with only three or four vertexes and test that. Then go from there. 

FRAPKimberlyWallin
New Contributor II

Good advice--I tried running with a simple square polygon, and still failed with:

0 Kudos
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

hmmm... what version of Arc are you on? 

0 Kudos