Extract by Mask returns Geometry Operation Cancelled

Jump to solution
11-17-2021 04:31 PM
FRAPKimberlyWallin
New Contributor II

I'm trying to clip a raster to a vector feature class using Extract by Mask (although I've also tried Clip Raster, with the same resulting error).  I'm licensed to use Spatial Analyst.  Other similar questions on the forum led me to think it was a projection problem--I projected the vector to the same projection as the raster with the same resulting error.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
FRAPKimberlyWallin
New Contributor II

Pro 2.8

0 Kudos
FRAPKimberlyWallin
New Contributor II

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you got that error on a simple square... read on

002834: The geometry operation was canceled. Failed to execute (<value>)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Description
The tool failed while processing geometry. Some of the input features may be invalid.

Solution
Use the Check Geometry tool to evaluate whether your input has invalid geometry. If geometry problems are found, use the Repair Geometry tool to correct the problems and rerun the tool.

It is now time to contact Tech Support.

In the interim, if this error just started to appear recently, I would uninstall Pro and install Pro 2.9

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Multipart To Singlepart (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

use that first to rule out multipart issues.  I found some issues with multipart features during 2.9 beta.  There may have been some untested and corrected complications with them.

... sort of retired...
RyanDeBruyn
Esri Contributor

Hi Kimberly.  Thank you for your post.  This might point to an underlying issue not necessarily related to Extract.  Would you be able to zip up and attach your data here (assuming it is not too large) so I can test it on my side.

In the mean time as a workaround are you able to convert the feature mask to raster  (Use FeaturetoRaster conversion tool) first then use the extract by mask tool with the raster input?  Make sure to set environments  (coordinate system, cell size,  snap raster) to be consistent with underlying raster.

0 Kudos
FRAPKimberlyWallin
New Contributor II

Data was stored in a drive that was keeping it as read-only.  Moved project and data to the C: drive and worked like a charm.

forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

glad you got it sorted out 

0 Kudos
RyanDeBruyn
Esri Contributor

Excellent thank you.  The message you reported was returned in error and should have been the intended message ""Workspace or data source is read only".  This will be resolved for next release of ArcGIS Pro 3.0.