extract a statistic from overlapping features (points / polygons)

Jump to solution
05-16-2022 10:30 PM
RamB
by
Occasional Contributor III

HI

I have a point layer where multiple points overlap. For example, lets take 3 points at the same location. Each point has an attribute X with some number value (integer). What I want to do is, summarize that location. Meaning have only one point at that location instead of 3, and this one resulting point  should get the maximum value of the 3 overlapping points. 

thank you,

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RamB
by

Yes, thank you.  I solved it using the idential tool. This tool automatically assigns a unique ID to "all features" at the  same location. So this was easier than using x,y.  Then I dissolved on this unique ID.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AndyAnderson
Occasional Contributor II

Use the Dissolve tool. Dissolve (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

The points will need a common attribute or attributes to indicate they share the same location. You could get that using their X & Y values.

— Andy

RamB
by

Yes, thank you.  I solved it using the idential tool. This tool automatically assigns a unique ID to "all features" at the  same location. So this was easier than using x,y.  Then I dissolved on this unique ID.

RamB
by

I am accepting my own solution for following reasons:

1. getting an unique id via "identical tool" helped me to join it back to the original layer and also to use in the R bridge and perhaps can also be used with python scripts to summarize results based on unique ID. 

2. Comparing locations based on x,y which are essentially floating points, this can cause floating point errors if one wishes to use other scripting tools further. I do not know if "identical" tool uses dissolve based on x,y.. then essentially both soltions are the same. 

So idential + dissolve help with further analysis in my opinion.

But thank you Andy.

0 Kudos
AndyAnderson
Occasional Contributor II

Depending on how you generated the points, you’re correct that they may not be perfectly aligned. So the Find Identical tool definitely has an advantage in that it allows you to compare the geometry within a given tolerance, either for machine error or design decision.

— AA

0 Kudos