Exporting PNG image with background transparency from ArcGIS Pro

07-20-2016 10:39 AM
MichaelSchoelen2
New Contributor II

I am attempting to export a PNG image file from ArcGIS Pro 1.2.0 with the background set to transparent. In ArcMap 10.3 this is simple, there was a button for setting the transparent color to white during the export.

When I go to "share" the image in ArcGIS Pro, I do not see the same options to set my background or transparent color. Has this button been moved elsewhere? Or is it not an option anymore?

10 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
ConnorHouston2
New Contributor

I have the same issue with transparency. The map itself hounors the transparent background when sharing as PNG - 32-bit with Alpha. However the layout does not honour the transparent background and exports the blank page as white.  

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Connor,

Where are you obtaining the image from? I have found that using a WMS gives me a blank background when exported. But, if I use WMTS, the background is not blank.

0 Kudos
ConnorHouston2
New Contributor

There are no WMS services. The layout has a single shapefile. The area around the layer (blank space) in the layout should be transparent when shared as PNG, not with a white background.  

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Oh, I get it now. I misunderstood earlier. I am not sure that exporting to a PNG in Pro will have this effect. I feel like it will act the same as a jpg or other file format and not obey the PNG rules like you see with most PNGs. I hope I am wrong though.

MichaelSchoelen2
New Contributor II

To clarify, I'm using ArcGIS Pro 1.2. When I export (or share) as a png image from the map view, the background is exported as transparent. However (more importantly) when I export from the layout view, and I "share" as a PNG, there is no option to set transparency, like in ArcMap. Is this something that was added in a later version of ArcGIS Pro?

On stack exchange, it was determined that " ArcGIS Pro does not currently support exporting with transparency in the Layout. "

HoustonCo
New Contributor II

Created an "Idea" for this to have included on future builds.

https://community.esri.com/ideas/14579 

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

I like it! Thanks for making this idea. I have voted it up.

0 Kudos
EmelineRenz
New Contributor III

Freeware Workaround:

1. Install Inkscape (freeware)

2. Export your Layout with a white background/no fill as an SVG file. 

3. Open the SVG file in Inkscape. 

4. Select the map Object on the workspace. Go to Object > Ungroup or Shift+Ctrl+G. This will separate all the map elements, so be careful not to move anything but the Map Frame in the next step!

5. Click and drag the map frame to the side a bit.

6. click on a now "empty" area. the white box will be selected. Delete that. 

7. Carefully drag your map frame back into place. ( the + and - keys are zoom controls in Inkscape). 

8. File > Export PNG Image... Export area = Page, Filename: What you want. Click Export. 

If you have access to Adobe Illustrator, open the SVG, then just turn off the last layer (press F7 to see the layers window).