exporting a table join in ArcPro

Jump to solution
05-20-2021 07:39 PM
JanaKaeppler1
New Contributor II

I have noticed that when trying to export a layer that holds a successful table join in ArcPro (Data - Export Features), the joined attributes appear blank when exported to the geodatabase. This used to be the standard procedure to preserve table joins in ArcMap to save as a new layer. How is this to be done in ArcPro so I don't lose the information of the joined tables?

Many thanks,

Jana

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MervynLotter
Occasional Contributor III

Dear Jana

Thank you so much for the feedback. I have not worked with view tables as my data source is nearly always from standalone tables. Sorry I cant offer more advice. 

Best of luck getting your view tables converted to standalone tables.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MervynLotter

Hi Jana

The Add Join and then exporting to feature class or shapefile is working fine with me. The resulting table has all the attribute fields of the joined table. 

Perhaps try running the Join Field GP tool, which will add the new attribute fields to the existing Feature Class (you do not need to exp[prt to make a copy of it - if this is what you require). 

Or try re-running this process in a new map. 

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

I agree with Mervyn - this is expected to work as described in https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/add-join.htm

KoryKramer_0-1621599343510.png

How is the data stored in the input table and join table? (i.e. shapefile, file geodatabase, enterprise geodatabase, csv, Excel, etc...), How many fields are joined?  Is it a 1:1 or 1:M join?  What format are you outputting to? 

I agree that maybe you could just try again in a different map/project, but if something still isn't working, we'll need specifics to understand what is happening.

Thank you

KathyMulcahy1
New Contributor II

Thank you very much. I had the same issue, but when I tried table to table it works. I also had some fields giving errors. But I used table to table, everything is fone. I reapply appreciated it. 

MervynLotter

Perhaps check the column headings in the table you want to join to a feature class. Try and make sure that none start with a number or have any unusual characters (%,$,#) in them. 

DenizTuran
New Contributor

You just saved my day!! Bless you!! My join table had a $ in the name and I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it until I saw your reply!

0 Kudos
JanaKaeppler1
New Contributor II

Thank you Mervyn and Kory,

It turns out the table I am using for the join is a view table that I am accessing via an OLE DB connection. While the join looks successful in the attribute table, it might not have been as the verification message states that there werent any matches. So when I export this seemingly joint layer to a separate geodatabase, the new layer adopted the joined fields, but the fields are all empty. When I tried the same procedure with a normal table from the OLE DB connection, it all worked fine. These normal tables I had also exported to that separate geodatabase before setting up any joins.

I also tried to export the view tables to this separate geodatabase, but I always end up with an output that has no records. 

So it turns out that the stand-alone table function differently in GIS compared to the view tables. Does ArcPro restrict the use of view tables?

JanaKaeppler1_0-1621824169783.png

I have contacted IT to let me know whether we could have the content of these views converted into normal tables - so far I haven't heard back yet. 

Have you had any experience with this?

Many thanks,

Jana

0 Kudos
MervynLotter

Dear Jana

Thank you so much for the feedback. I have not worked with view tables as my data source is nearly always from standalone tables. Sorry I cant offer more advice. 

Best of luck getting your view tables converted to standalone tables.

0 Kudos