export map from ArcGIS Pro to ArcMap

Jump to solution
03-05-2018 01:23 AM
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

Is there somehow the possibility to export a map form ArcGIS Pro to ArcMap? 

I am trying to get used to work more in ArcGIS Pro and already find some workflows easier in ArcGIS Pro than in ArcMap. But some of our project partners are not that far yet and are still working with ArcMap. Is there somehow a way they can use my maps (except of publishing/using them in AGOL...)? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Check these links:

Opening ArcGIS Pro map in ArcMap? - Geographic Information Systems Stack Exchange 

For ArcMap users—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Although you can import and use ArcMap documents with ArcGIS Pro, you cannot export ArcGIS Pro items as .lyr, .lpk, .mxd, .sxd, or .3dd to ArcMap since not all functionality is compatible.

Frequently asked questions—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

How do I share a map authored in ArcGIS Pro with someone using ArcMap?

You cannot export a map in ArcGIS Pro as a map document (.mxd). However, if you are using geodatabases, shapefiles, or other supported formats, the data can be shared between applications, and maps can be published as services from ArcGIS Pro and shared with someone using ArcMap, ArcGIS Online, or ArcGIS Enterprise.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Check these links:

Opening ArcGIS Pro map in ArcMap? - Geographic Information Systems Stack Exchange 

For ArcMap users—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Although you can import and use ArcMap documents with ArcGIS Pro, you cannot export ArcGIS Pro items as .lyr, .lpk, .mxd, .sxd, or .3dd to ArcMap since not all functionality is compatible.

Frequently asked questions—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

How do I share a map authored in ArcGIS Pro with someone using ArcMap?

You cannot export a map in ArcGIS Pro as a map document (.mxd). However, if you are using geodatabases, shapefiles, or other supported formats, the data can be shared between applications, and maps can be published as services from ArcGIS Pro and shared with someone using ArcMap, ArcGIS Online, or ArcGIS Enterprise.

Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

Thank you!

0 Kudos
ScottStopyak
Occasional Contributor II

As usual, no thought was given to backward compatibility except to avoid it at all costs. ESRI's practice of intentionally breaking compatibility has caused me grief with Pro and innumerable times across ArcMap versions for 15+ years. It's totally unethical.

BillSchroeder
New Contributor III

Incomprehensible that they would be so brash as to NOT allow backwards compatibility.

They totally threw out every bit of familiarity when they created (or perhaps took over?) pro.

I don't see how the word pro even fits with this software.

Thank God I'm close to retirement.

I use special symbols on my map, and it's a royal pain in the royal pain area to try to get them to work in "pro".

I did it once, but lost the data, and now have to figure it all out again.

Yay fun.

Going to just take all the progress I've made in pro and reenter it in arcgis map and remove pro.

And it should be ARGH Gis Pro, thank you.

#notahappycamper

JeffBishop
New Contributor III

Agreed! At least the ability to do a LPK or something would be helpful. 

baohuachu3
New Contributor III

Compatible backward is very necessary.  Pro ,in many function aspects are slower than that of ArcMap.

If I publish service by Pro failed I will try ArcMap. Then I will have to configured symbol, label, scale etc.

0 Kudos