Errors Exporting Record Databases

Jump to solution
06-17-2019 02:57 PM
HankArnold
New Contributor III

When I try to export selected record databases, I get varying versions of errors.

I just finished a project using ArcMap V6 on a Windows 7 machine, and although I had trouble exporting to any folder associated with the project, I found I could back out several of the folder levels and successfully save to the root ArcGIS folder.

Since changing the folder made it seem like a permissions problem, I put off working it out until the project finished, and kept exporting to some base folder, then moving my DBF files to some rational location.

Now that the project is finished, I have installed ArcMap V7 on a Windows 10 machine, and not only do I get the same problem to the folder associated with the project files, I can't find ANY folder that it will allow me to export to.

I'm attaching a view of how simple the table is - no BLOBS, etc, and the error I get.

I have tried connecting to different folders, backing out folder all the way back to "C:\" and running ArcMap with administrator rights.

Any suggestions appreciated

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Hank,

Try changing the "Save as Type" dropdown underneath the file Name to something else, probably a Shapefile. 

Alternately, try changing the save file location to a geodatabase. ArcMap won't be able to save a File and Personal Geodatabase feature class to a folder location. 

I hope that resolves the error!

Best,

Lauren

View solution in original post

6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Hank,

Try changing the "Save as Type" dropdown underneath the file Name to something else, probably a Shapefile. 

Alternately, try changing the save file location to a geodatabase. ArcMap won't be able to save a File and Personal Geodatabase feature class to a folder location. 

I hope that resolves the error!

Best,

Lauren

HankArnold
New Contributor III

Lauren,

Thanks very much - saving as a Shapefile saved a DBF, among other things, and I was able to use it normally

Hank

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

So glad to hear that worked!

Just fyi, a shapefile will appear in ArcCatalog or in the Catalog Window of ArcMap as one file, but in a File Explorer, it's actually several files, including a .dbf and .shp. ArcMap simply reads those files as one. Here's the documentation on that:

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/manage-data/shapefiles/shapefile-file-extensions.htm

Happy GISing!

-Lauren

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hank, if you found Lauren's answer to be correct, please Mark Correct!  This helps others in GeoNet find better solutions faster.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
HankArnold
New Contributor III

It was correct and I thought I had marked it

If I didn't do it correctly,  please let me know

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

There we go!  Thank you.  That is helpful.

0 Kudos