ErrorMessage: Failed to publish web layer

Jump to solution
02-09-2021 12:10 PM
wilcow
by
Occasional Contributor

Attempting to publish Enterprise GIS layers to AGO and after an hour or so, I receive this message:

Server Response: {"error":{"code":400,"message":"Invalid URL","details":["Invalid URL"]}}

I've seen this error when trying to publish features with Definition Queries, but none of these layers have DQs. 

A couple of them do have related tables, but I removed those on the latest attempt to no avail. 

There are a ton of features in the project I'm publishing - could this be a simple time-out issue?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Okay something is "up" with those fields.  How about creating new DATE fields, selecting all the records minus the ones with the 12/30/1899 values, field calc on the new DATE fields and keying in the correct dates for the ones that are 12/30/1899.  Then delete the old DATE fields and try to publish.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
SillPaul
New Contributor

I had the same problem and error message when attempting to publish to a hosted feature layer on AGO recently.  I found that correcting a few coded-value domain busts in the feature class resolved this issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Are you publishing all the layers out at once and receive this message?  You could test each layers success (or failure) of publishing as a web layer by selecting each one individually, right-clicking on the selected layer->Sharing->Share as web layer to see which one errors out.

0 Kudos
wilcow
by
Occasional Contributor

Yessir I was publishing all at once. I tried to publish them one by one as you suggested and got the same error on the first FC I tried.

to be sure, I opened a new project and tried the same FC by itself - same result, so it seems that there's a problem with that FC.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Depending if that one FC has any behaviors on it (i.e. subtype, domain, etc.), you could export it out as a shapefile and reimport it as a geodatabase feature class to see if that "fixes" it.  Then reshare to a web layer.  What is the result - error or success?

0 Kudos
wilcow
by
Occasional Contributor

I tested that process (export to .SHP and reimport to GDB and then publish) and it worked for that FC.

Now I'll add it back into the project and see if it still errors out.

wilcow
by
Occasional Contributor

More on this: found several other FC's in the map and discovered I can ID which ones will work by looking at their attribute tables in ArcGIS Pro

for the FCs that fail on publishing, the attribute table appears to be blank (no rows or headers and no active tools)

I'll upload a screen shot

edit: these same FCs work as expected in ArcMap (v10.6) - I can see the attribute table, anyway

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Question - do any of your FC tables have a date field and if so, do you see a value of 12/30/1899?  Weird I know but I'm researching some BUGs that talk about this.

0 Kudos
wilcow
by
Occasional Contributor

as a matter of fact they do. Yes to both.

I seem to recall this being an issue when I created these features - had to add and calculate new date fields for several datasets, I think

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Okay - test this.  Create a copy of the FC in your geodatabase.  Delete the date fields, try to publish as a web layer.  Success or not so much?

0 Kudos
wilcow
by
Occasional Contributor

Done. Out of 4 Date fields I found 2 that contained "12/30/1899". 

I removed those fields and was able to publish the Feature Layer to AGO.

I'm going to test whether changing that value might have an effect on one of the other FCs