Error with toolboxes in ArcGIS Pro 2.2

Jump to solution
06-26-2018 05:28 PM
MarkTukman
New Contributor II

I just upgraded to ArcGIS Pro 2.2.  When I open a new project and click on the 'Analysis' tab on the ribbon, I get an error message 'Failed to load system tools with a path to:  c:\program files\arcgis\pro\Resources

\ArcToolbox\Toolboxes\Spatial Statistics Tools .pyt

And no system toolboxes are loading by default (analysis, etc.).  Anyone know the fix?

0 Kudos
24 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The problems seems to run deeper than just the frozen package manager.

At least one report of previously installed packages not being carried over in the new update

https://community.esri.com/thread/217048-arcgis-pro-220-and-python-package-manager 

0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

Dan: I think that is normal, the Help clearly states that the old environment is backed up with a name <OLD_ENVIRONMENT_NAME>_backup, see here:_

The Python Package Manager—ArcPy Get Started | ArcGIS Desktop 

"When updating from an earlier version of ArcGIS Pro, if an older arcgispro-py3 environment exists, it will be renamed to prevent overwriting. The existing environment's folder name will be appended with _backup. A new default arcgispro-py3 environment will be created and activated automatically."

And if you look at the image the OP posted in that other thread you linked, you can see he has the <OLD_ENVIRONMENT_NAME>_backup visible in his package manager.

I also had a look at my backup environment, and it did have the one package I installed in it.

Remains the problem that you cannot even switch to the old environment, because the change / selection doesn't stick: once you open the package manager again, it is back to square one on the new - read-only - default environment. It just won't let you change the environment to anything else from the default.

One interesting things though: I now notice the "backup" version lacks the supposed "_" underscore, it is listed as:

<OLD_ENVIRONMENT_NAME>backup

instead of

<OLD_ENVIRONMENT_NAME>_backup

This is not according to the Help, it should have the underscore in the name.

MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

Well, I guess here we have (the)/a bug: look at the two images, notice how the file path of the environment contains an underscore, while Pro omits it in its interface:

@George Thompson ?

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Marco... everytime I have upgraded, the previous packages that I have installed came with it.  I installed Spyder and other stuff once (back in 1.??).  So I am not sure what is going on... This last update I was on Beta 2.2... maybe that is why I still have everything and didn't need to reinstall. But when I was on 2.1 and moved to beta 2.2, nothing was 'uninstalled' when I arrived.  I would have rapidly exited/rolled back if that had been the case

0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

Dan, nothing gets "uninstalled", your old environment gets "backed up" when you upgrade to the official 2.2 release, that is exactly what the Help describes, and what I saw happening with my customized Python environment (I actually only installed one extra package - pyodbc - in Pro 2.1, and I see it listed in the "backup" copy of the old environment):

The Python Package Manager—ArcPy Get Started | ArcGIS Desktop (see the "Notes")

If your "2.2 beta" did not do this, than ESRI may have hastily added this inbetween 2.2 beta and the official 2.2 release, that haste might actually explain the bug being introduced... but that is just mere speculation.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Marco... I tried and I can confirm what you have found

0 Kudos
HungTruong
New Contributor III

work around: rename files with extensions .pyt to .pyt_xxx, close and open ArcGIS pro, the toolboxes are loaded

HungTruong
New Contributor III

It seems like Pro 2.2 has problems loading .pyt files

0 Kudos
MarkTukman
New Contributor II

Thanks Hung. That works.

mark

HungTruong
New Contributor III

I have installed untools 2.2.0 using this command: conda install -c esri untools

and the untools shows up on the Installed list, as shown below

However, I don't see the tools in my toolbox.

I added the tool manually, this is the error I got:

Any ideas how to fix it?

0 Kudos