Error with Incrementing ID Field and Clarification of Usage

Jump to solution
09-10-2018 10:32 AM
PeterKing
Occasional Contributor

I am trying to add an Incrementing ID Field to a feature class using ArcGIS Pro 2.2.0 using the following tool - Add Incrementing ID Field 

The summary of the tool states that:

"The Add Incrementing ID Field tool adds a database-maintained ID field to an existing table or feature class..." 

The Usage Description of the tool states: "This tool can only be used with database tables, not geodatabase tables."

We are trying to add the field to and Enterprise SDE Feature Class as described in the summary but are now receiving the following error: 

ERROR 000152  You cannot add an incrementing ID field to a table registered with the geodatabase.

1. Has anyone out there had experience and success using the tool ?

2. Our feature classes are enterprise FC's not tables so is the summary of the tool incorrect?

Thanks for any help and clarification in what I may be doing wrong or missing!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Peter - That tool cannot be used with a feature class that is registered with the enterprise geodatabase already.

This tool can only be used with database tables, not geodatabase tables.

try it on an unregistered spatial/non-spatial table.

--- George T.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
George_Thompson

Hi Peter - That tool cannot be used with a feature class that is registered with the enterprise geodatabase already.

This tool can only be used with database tables, not geodatabase tables.

try it on an unregistered spatial/non-spatial table.

--- George T.
PeterKing
Occasional Contributor

Thanks George.

I think that there is a disconnect between the summary of the tool and usage statement.

Regardless, our issue is that we want to use the tool on a FC that exists in SDE and is registered with the DB. The FC is a utility asset and we would like this functionality within the Enterprise.

Any ideas of other tools for incrementing ID's when features are added?

I currently use DB triggers to increment ID's so I was hoping for something else, like this tool.

Regards

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Sorry for the confusion on the tool documentation. I would recommend providing feedback which is linked at the bottom of the help doc.

As for something else, I think that you are doing it the best way with a DB trigger. Is this being done within the Utility Network?

--- George T.
PeterKing
Occasional Contributor

Thanks again! As for the utility network we are in the process of migrating to it but the feature in question is not currently in the Utility Network.

Cheers

0 Kudos