Select to view content in your preferred language

Error while installing ArcGIS Pro for the first time in a local machine

Jump to solution
09-03-2022 09:29 AM
nik_geo
New Contributor III
Hi, I am trying to to install ArcGIS Pro 3.0 on my personal laptop following the instructions (https://helpcentre.lancaster.ac.uk/servicedesk/customer/kb/view/6919925?applicationId=0185474f-cbad-...). After downloading the software I am receiving an error (also, please see the attached images):
The file 'C:\Users\Geography\Documents\ArcGIS Pro 3.0\ArcGISPro\ArcGISPro.msi' is not a valid installation package for the product ArcGIS Pro. Try find the installation package 'ArcGISPro.msi' in a folder from which you can install ArcGIS Pro.

I browsed to the file called ArcGISPro.msi (picture with the number 1) and then I got the error (picture number 2). I also tried installing the software by connecting to the Uni's VPN using the Global Protect, without success. I am using Windows 10.

Note: I am using my Uni's credentials to download and install the software on my local laptop.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nik_geo
New Contributor III

I managed to solve the problem. So, as you can see in the image attached, somewhere in my laptop there was an ArcGIS Pro (version unknown) and I couldn't locate it (file size >3gb). I couldn't uninstall the software using Windows Apps and Features, or Ccleaner or Windows Troubleshooter. I found a software called IObit Uninstaller and it removed the software. In this way I finally installed the newest version of ArcGIS Pro (3.0). It turned out the older version was causing the issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

try saving the msi to a folder without a space in its path

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
nik_geo
New Contributor III

I deleted the spaces, nothing.... I deleted the dots  from 'ArcGIS Pro 3.0', still the same error. Also, I tried this solution without success. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Your instruction link in local to your university, so isn't good for troubleshooting by us.

What I do.
I download the *.exe from my My Esri to my local machine  (simple folder so it is easy to find and keep). 
I run the *.exe and it yields a *.cab and the *.msi file. 
Finally, I double-click on the *.msi which starts the install process.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
nik_geo
New Contributor III

That's exactly what I did. I run the .exe then the .msi. During installation using the .msi I'm getting the issue. I apologize for the link, I didn't know you couldn't open it.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Your first screenshot shows "Pro 2.5" in the path in the dialog, and the second screenshot shows "Pro 3.0" in the path in the message box.  Do you have any Pro versions already installed, say Pro 2.5?  If so, the installer may be looking for the Pro 2.5 installation media to remove your current install before it will proceed with installing the newer version.

0 Kudos
nik_geo
New Contributor III

Yes I have it but change the path to the .msi at this stage but the problem persists. Should I delete the older version?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

contact your University's esri contact person, something is missing  in the process

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
nik_geo
New Contributor III

Already did but it's the weekend so no one's working. When I fix it I'll post the answer here. 

0 Kudos
nik_geo
New Contributor III

I managed to solve the problem. So, as you can see in the image attached, somewhere in my laptop there was an ArcGIS Pro (version unknown) and I couldn't locate it (file size >3gb). I couldn't uninstall the software using Windows Apps and Features, or Ccleaner or Windows Troubleshooter. I found a software called IObit Uninstaller and it removed the software. In this way I finally installed the newest version of ArcGIS Pro (3.0). It turned out the older version was causing the issue.

0 Kudos