Enterprise GDB features repeat symbology

07-20-2021 08:28 AM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Some time back I created a project where I assigned a specific Unique Values symbology scheme to a feature class in our enterprise gdb (aka SDE).  Now when ever I add that feature class to a new project, I get that symbology.  It seems to be a property at the EGDB level as a coworker confirmed when he adds the feature class he gets the same symbology.

What causes this and how do I suppress it?

Edited moments later:  I added the same feature class to a new project and changed the Unique Values symbology.  But when I now create a new project, that new symbology does not show up, the other one does...

(My apologies if this is a repeat post: I thought I asked about this already but could not find any mention.)

That should just about do it....
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

sounds funky.  would be interested to know also.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Yep.  Funky indeed.  I went through 3 tech support analysts at ESRI; the last one is as stymied as the first two...

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

By any chance, did you use Representations?

What are representations?

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

@Asrujit_SenGupta I've never used them in my life; not knowingly anyway.  It's so weird:  I can export the feature class to a fgb and the symbology comes with it.  

Edited to add:  The arcgis pro help page on representations suggests that they are an ArcMap thing.  I haven't used ArcMap in 2 years....

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Would suggest checking the Properties of that Feature class to make sure. Just in case...

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

@Asrujit_SenGupta - I don't see anything in the properties that points to symbology, and I don't see anything in the Symbology menu as suggested in the the Pro Help page I linked above.

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

did you get to the bottom of this @JoeBorgione  ?

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

@DavidPike  Not yet. I took some time off to walk along a beautiful river with fly rod in hand so the case was on pause. 

Just yesterday though I sent some sample data to ESRI tech support. Haven’t heard anything so far but I’ll keep this updated. 

KeithOlson
New Contributor III

My work group is experiencing the same thing. One person sets symbology and makes edits to the feature class. Then a second person adds that feature class to a totally different project and the symbology comes right along with it!!!

I have a separate thread going on now. We should merge the two maybe.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/automatically-created-representations/m-p/1086249... 

0 Kudos