Select to view content in your preferred language

Ensure all lines follow the same line direction

10-14-2023 09:26 AM
Labels (2)
sinekelly1410
New Contributor II

Core problem: I have a lines dataset with lines of different directions. I want to use/create a tool that ensures that all lines follow the same direction. It does not matter which direction the lines go in, as long as they all follow the same direction.

Is there a way to do this? 

Extension problem: The line dataset is derived from a polygon feature class of the plots and contains a unique ID for each plot.  Ideally, the tool should ensure that all lines within a single plot follow the same direction. This tool should also apply the same direction logic to all plots within the dataset. 

If anyone has any advise or guidance on just the core problem, or both the core and extension problem, I would be greatly appreciative!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@sinekelly1410 Interesting problem and I anticipate many variation edge cases for instance:

AyanPalit_0-1697640583909.png AyanPalit_1-1697640610618.png AyanPalit_2-1697640626053.png

This is a common problem and may be addressed in different ways depending on the unique requirements. It will help if you post sample screenshots.  

Simplistically, 

1. Identify and select the lines that are incorrect
  2. Use the Flip Line geoprocessing tool
  3. Use ArcGIS Pro Editing tools to Reverse the direction of a polyline
Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri
0 Kudos