Endless Issues with Mosaics Built from Tiffs

09-26-2023 12:08 PM
NormBetland
Occasional Contributor

I have recently received high resolution aerial imagery of my city. It exists as 224 separate geotiffs. I can bring them into ArcGIS Pro just fine, but would rather have just one item I can bring into Pro to serve as a back drop locally. 

I decided to create a raster mosaic in a file geodatabase that is dedicated solely to this imagery.

When I add the rasters I get a slew of errors:

Error: 80048178: Cannot synchronize mosaic dataset items associated with the specified raster type instance.

Error: 8004022d: Cannot acquire a lock.
Error: 80048178: Cannot synchronize mosaic dataset items associated with the specified raster type instance. [Name: Raster Dataset; Instance ID: 1]
Error: 8004814e: Could not generate overview item. 
Warning: Generated partial overview image

Not all errors occur every time I attempt to add the rasters. After perusing some forums, I thought maybe if I built overviews, that would resolve the issue, but just as many errors of different types popped up for that. 

The TIF files are all in a common folder, on the same drive as the file geodatabase. I'm at a total loss. Is it simply the sheer combined size of the TIFs? They are 3-inch resolution and cover about 10 square miles and take over 80 GB of storage. Any tips for getting a mosaic to work or how to view these images without have 224 table of content entries?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KeonMonroe
New Contributor III

Have you had success with creating a smaller subset mosaic dataset? I'm not sure ESRI provides any guidance on how many rasters is ideal for one mosaic dataset object, but you could try creating a series of smaller ones.

Also which specific tools are you running (and in what order?)? It seems like you are using both "Add Rasters to Mosaic Dataset" and "Synchronize Mosaic Dataset" 

0 Kudos
NormBetland
Occasional Contributor

I am only using Add Rasters to Mosaic Dataset. I have never used the Synchronize tool.

0 Kudos
JerryClark4
New Contributor III

I just had this type of issue loading 605 raster's into a mosaic. I ended up using the create catalog dataset. Then loaded my imagery into it (file type: Raster) and now they will all display and regenerates pretty fast too. Hope this helps.

GeorgeNewbury
Occasional Contributor

@NormBetland , did you resolve this? I'm seeing a similar error with my setup. I narrowed it down to when I'm using Build Overview tools and have parallel processing enabled and building the overviews on one my organization's SANs from a VM in our data center. I don't get the error when I'm building it from the same VM to a Synology NAS. And I don't get it when I'm on bare metal to a local SAN. If I do single thread I don't have an issue with the VM to SAN. 

If I was doing small MDs single vs parallel wouldn't make a difference, but i'm dealing with 1000s of source rasters.