Select to view content in your preferred language

Enable Enterprise Geodatabase issue

06-26-2022 12:59 PM
HeJin
by
New Contributor

I am new to the Postgresql and quite familiar with ArcGIS Pro. I create a database usa in pgadmin 4 (13.6 version) and import the data into usa database. Then I created login role sde and password in pgadmin and sde schema in usa. Then I went to ArcGIS Pro (2.9) Catalog and right click on the Databases and click new Database connection and configure the connection below. It is successfully to establish the connection. See below. 

HeJin_0-1656273253960.png

Then I need to enable the enterprise geodatabse, but get an error message below. 

HeJin_3-1656273390702.png

HeJin_2-1656273361437.png

It seems that there are multiple problems in there. Anyone who can help me to figure out the problem and how to solve these issues? Your help will be highly appreciated. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Notable Contributor

I am going to guess that PostgreSQL is on Windows, if so, did you follow this documentation: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geodatabases/manage-postgresql/setup-geodatabase-...

What is the sdesetup.log file?

Side note: Why would you load data into the database before making it an Enterprise Geodatabase?

This data would show up as  not registered with the Enterprise Geodatabase.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
HeJin
by
New Contributor

I will use it for teaching students. The first part I will do is to import non-spatial data and do the non-spatial query in pgadmin. Then, I will show them how to connect the existing non-spatial data in pgadmin with ArcGIS Pro and do spatial queries (I know that pgadmin usually connects with qgis, but most of my students are more familar with ArcGIS pro. So, I will use the ArcGIS pro connect with pgadmin). That is why I did not create an enterprise geodatabase at the first place. Anyway, the errors are gone after I changed to a new computer. I guess it is because something is missing my laptop. I also changed the instance to localhost. It worked. 

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

I haven't used the Enable tool, normally would just run the Create Enterprise GDB tool.

But, when you made the database connection, did you actually name it 5432.sde?

I see that is the instance/server name, but the enable tool is looking for the connection file, which would/could be named something different:

(instance name won't work, need to use the name that is in the catalog pane)

RhettZufelt_1-1656346623061.png

R_

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Notable Contributor

I do not name my connection files (.sde) with the port number. I usually use the following naming convention: <username>@<dbname>_<RDBMS>

I would set it up just like your screenshot above except that it is connecting to PostgreSQL.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
HeJin
by
New Contributor

You are correct. The port number does not work properly. The localhost worked fine. 

0 Kudos
HeJin
by
New Contributor

I used the "create enterprise geodatabase" once and were able to connect the exsiting database in pgadmin. I also changed the instance to localhost and used a new computer. It worked without any errors. Thank you so much for help. 

0 Kudos