Dynamic endpoints layer

Jump to solution
05-10-2022 08:09 PM
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

Oracle 18c; 10.7.1 EGDB; SDE.ST_GEOMETRY.

Bud_0-1652236843933.png

I have a polyline FC. I want to create a dynamic layer that will display the startpoints and endpoints of the lines as points. I'm looking for an option that is dynamic, such as:

1. Create something like an XY event layer, except it shows the startpoint and endpoint of lines. 
  2. Or, an option in the FC symbology to display the start/endpoints as points. Similar to we could do with endpoint arrows in ArcMap.
  3. Or, custom Arcade-based symbology. Write an Arcade expression to isolate the start/endpoints of the lines. Display as points.
  4. Other?

I don't want to:

1. Create a static point FC (via a GP tool, python script, etc). Nor do I want to update such a FC via attribute rules or a db trigger.
  2. Create static XY fields in the FC.
    • For example, populate XY fields with an attribute rule or a database trigger. That would require creating 4 permanent fields (start_x, start_y, end_x, end_y). The extra fields would add clutter to the FC and be too much work to implement in other FCs.
  3. Update a static point FC on a schedule. I want the data to be dynamic. For example, if I create a new line, I want to see the start/endpoints immediately...as soon as I save the edit.  I don't want to wait for a scheduled job to run.
  4. Use ST_GEOMETRY functions to get the start/endpoints. That has proven to be far too slow. And the ST_POINT subtype geometry that gets returned by ST_GEOMETRY functions is problematic in ArcGIS Pro/ArcMap.
  5. Convert the FC from ST_GEOMETRY to SDO_GEOMETRY in order to get the endpoints in an SQL query. That's not possible due to countless dependencies on the ST_GEOMETRY shape field in the FC.
  6. Create a geometric network to show the start/endpoints. I don't a need geometric network.

As mentioned, the solution needs to be:

• Dynamic.
  • Fast (just as fast as XY event layers, which are surprisingly fast)
  • Easy to set up
  • Symbol should be points, not arrows
  • It would be ideal if we could visually differentiate between startpoints vs endpoints (i.e. different colors). But that's not a must-have; it would be acceptable if the start and endpoints for a given line were merged into a multi-part feature.
  • I don't need to be able to select an individual point with the select tool. I just need to see the points in the map. 
  • Use case: ArcGIS Pro editing, Portal/Field Maps, etc.

Is there a way to create a dynamic endpoints layer in ArcGIS Pro?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohannesLindner
MVP Frequent Contributor

Purely symbology based:

1. Format Line Symbol, Add Marker symbol layer
    JohannesLindner_0-1652261178316.png
  2. Format the markers to be placed at extremities
    JohannesLindner_1-1652261261442.png

3. Profit
    JohannesLindner_2-1652261319673.png

You can also add a second marker layer and format the marker layers to show at the start and end extremities, then symbolize them differently. eg start points as dots, end points as open circles:

JohannesLindner_3-1652261479379.png

Have a great day!
Johannes

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JohannesLindner
MVP Frequent Contributor

Purely symbology based:

1. Format Line Symbol, Add Marker symbol layer
    JohannesLindner_0-1652261178316.png
  2. Format the markers to be placed at extremities
    JohannesLindner_1-1652261261442.png

3. Profit
    JohannesLindner_2-1652261319673.png

You can also add a second marker layer and format the marker layers to show at the start and end extremities, then symbolize them differently. eg start points as dots, end points as open circles:

JohannesLindner_3-1652261479379.png

Have a great day!
Johannes
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

Anyone know if it's possible to upload that endpoints symbology/layer to ArcGIS Online?

0 Kudos