Dubious Geoprocessed 3D layer behaviors

06-15-2018 02:52 PM
JOHNDONALDSON4
New Contributor III

I’m trying to animate a linear path. I start w/ a datafile of 8000 lat/lon/elev points.

From the tutorial, I learned to apply the following geoprocesses:

1. Make XY event layer
  2. Feature class to Feature Class
  3. Points to Line
  4. Split line at Vertices

I don’t have any problems doing any of this in 2D. All of the geoprocessed output layers work and I can continue w/ animating the final geoprocessed (Split line at Vertices) layer. So I’ve proven sufficient competency in 2D.

But in 3D, everything goes awry. For 3D data I am using the project data from the 3D basic tutorial “Create Points on a Map” http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/get-started/create-points-on-a-map.htm

After applying a geoprocess (eg. Feature to feature, points to line, split line at vertices) the resultant layer should match exactly (and thus sit on top of) the input layer. Correct?

But many if not all the resultant output layers do not match. Many of the resultant output layers (when they’re visible, often they’re not… ☹ ) do not match the position of their input layer and thus are translated (seemingly randomly) some meters up/down/right/left (albeit the shape is retained).

I’ve exported & examined the shape file data to no avail.

I’ve deleted/updated/etc. cache settings, and project spatial index settings all to no avail.

I’ve played w/ visibility ranges.

In fact changing layer properties seems to have no positive affect nor yield any illumination on the problem.

Are these ArcGIS Pro bugs? If yes, what can I do? If no please tell me what I’m missing. At this point I have no faith in my ability to geoprocess or otherwise control my ArcGIS Pro layers. Thank you in advance for any help or advice (including anything I’ve tried before).

Background info:

Using ArcGIS Pro 2.1.3 (auto update on).

I got my info on how to do this from this quick useful demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq4rzFPXwr4 (please note my problem/questions are not about animation per se. My problem is with the behavior/visibility of the resultant 3D geoprocessed output layers.

My data represents a single drone trajectory flight path with 8000 lat/lon/elev points in GCS WGS 1984.

Screenshot 1) Why are the layers shifted? No coordinate translation should have occurred in the above mentioned geoprocesses. One layer should be sitting on top of the other.

Why are the layers shifted? No coordinate translation should have occurred in the above mentioned geoprocesses. One layer should be sitting on top of the other.

Screenshot 2) Zoom in 700m and the green layer starts to disintegrate and the red is stable. Why? Why don't both layers behave the same?

Zoom in ~700m and the green layer starts to disintegrate and the red is stable. Why?

0 Kudos
29 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Next step....   I am assuming you are following along so that no step is missed

JOHNDONALDSON4
New Contributor III

I've never used "Copy Features" tool. Only "Feature Class to Feature Class" (because that's what the tutorial said to use). 
I believe you're suggesting that I use Copy Features tool instead of Feat.Class to Feat.Class.
Thank you. I will try this but not sure why it would make it a difference.

0 Kudos
JOHNDONALDSON4
New Contributor III

FYI: The problem occurs immediately after the Feature Class to Feature Class geoprocess.
So, I first import the datafile using Make XY Event Layer which creates the first layer to compare.
After I run Feat.to Feat. against it, the 2nd layer is created and doesn't match it's input layer. I don't understand why a straight copy (ie. Feat. to Feat) would translate the coordinates...?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

hmmm. my experience is all I can say … actually, your event layer is not a featureclass, whereas it has features, hence when you copy features from 'whatever', it copies them to a featureclass.... I just never use featureclass to featureclass for some reason

So in summary

• make an event layer
  • make a featureclass from the event layer
  • points to line
  • line to vertices
JOHNDONALDSON4
New Contributor III

alright. I'll give that a shot and get back to you. I was following the ESRI youtube video faithfully though. I had to slow it down various places to get its exact instructions.

0 Kudos
JOHNDONALDSON4
New Contributor III

alright. I'll give that a shot and get back to you. I was following the ESRI youtube video faithfully though. I had to slow it down various places to get its exact instructions.

0 Kudos
JOHNDONALDSON4
New Contributor III

FYI: I don't think the aforementioned New Zealand tutorial is using GCS_WGS_1984.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Ok.. got to get the mail.. so I will give you the next 3 steps

back soon, but let me know if this is what you were/are doing and check the results.

JOHNDONALDSON4
New Contributor III

Yes, correct.  this is all what I did in 2D (as stated earlier). It's in the 3D tutorial that all heck breaks loose.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Well... now you learned an 'alternate method' and have something that works... so the tutorial wasn't a complete failure