Dotted stroke and other stroke effects

04-28-2022 04:55 AM
LV11
by
New Contributor

Hello!

I am new to ArcGis Pro! So i have some questions and I would be grateful if someone could help me by posting step-by-step or URL link to any kind video which is related to this topic or any help at all.

So I have a problem creating new symbols:

• I don't know how to make dotted stroke instead of dashed stroke.
  • where I can set the interval (like in ArcMap Desktop - it was somewhere under cartographic line-templates etc.)?
  • how to set stroke to not change when I'm zooming in/out?
  • and what to do with dash template - I enter necessary values like 2 1 and it doesn't not match with needed symbol example - see added photos;strokes.png
  • 3.PNG

THANK YOU! 🙂 
0 Kudos
3 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Check your line's cap settings.

jcarlson_0-1651151011829.png

round or square cap will make your dashes appear longer than intended.

The way the dashes line up depends a lot on where the line starts and ends, which would be defined by the polygon's vertices, or at least how much of it is visible. You can adjust the constraints to get the symbol to start/end with some portion of the pattern / gap.

With the symbology scaling problem, you can set a reference scale on your map. With the reference scale set, your symbology will not adjust as you zoom in and out anymore.

jcarlson_1-1651151340922.png

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
CarlMorrison
Occasional Contributor

A great source for style tips and tricks is John Nelson's blogs and YouTube videos. https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/author/j_nelson/?page=31  

0 Kudos
KeithAddison1
Occasional Contributor III

Here's an example of the phantom linetype CAD loves:

KeithAddison1_0-1703256678402.png

It looks all wrong if cap is anything but Butt.

0 Kudos