Select to view content in your preferred language

Does ESRI have documentation on what is supported in Label Expressions code that supports printing from a Vector Tile Layer

06-02-2024 01:27 PM
Labels (1)
BradBarnell
New Contributor III

I am trying to create labels in ArcGIS Pro to publish to an ArcGIS Online Vector Tile Layer.  Does ESRI have any documentation as to what Label Expression code complexity is allowed in ArcGIS Pro?   All of the Arcade Label Expression code I have used works great to view a map in the online Map Viewer, but it will not print.  I just get a blank map.  You would think that if you could view the label in the vector tile layer, that it would be printable as well.  That's not the case.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Vector Tile layers are an entirely different animal, and they don't play by the same rules as your normal vector layers. You can read up on how these things function on the MapBox documentation pages. It's important to note that Esri's implementation of vector tiles followed a deprecated version of the style spec: https://docs.mapbox.com/style-spec/reference/other/

So while modern vector tiles can absolutely support expression-based values, that's not a feature that currently crosses over to the Esri-verse. For your label text to be available to the vector tiles, it needs to be included as literal values in the tile set; there are no expressions actually evaluating, it's just reading text.

Will other vector tile layers / labels print?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos