Does ArcGIS Pro have Geometry Reporter or something similar?

09-14-2020 01:54 PM
MattMoy
New Contributor II

ArcMap had a Geometry Reporter feature that was very useful to figure out the sizes of features in your map. It made viewing the length of line features or area of polygon features most faster than having to look at the attribute table. Does ArcGIS Pro have something similar?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
WilfredDarr
New Contributor II

Would the "Calculate Geometry Attributes" tool work for what you need? (Ironically, the reason I'm on the forum this evening is because I can't get the darned thing to output for me, but in theory, it seems like if it's working it could be the solution to both our problems?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

You can also use the Add Geometry Attributes (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation tool to add additional fields (if only certain fields exist like shape and length) for seeing the geometric characteristics. 

0 Kudos
MattMoy
New Contributor II

Hey Wilfred, I appreciate the response! I don't think its a solution to what I'm asking for exactly. It does provide the fields that I mentioned. But the Geometry Reporter didn't require running a tool of any kind. You simply selected a feature and it would display the measurements in the Geometry Reporter pane. It's a tool on the Defense Mapping toolbar in ArcMap. It doesn't appear that there's a replacement for it in ArcPro as far as I can tell

0 Kudos
WilfredDarr
New Contributor II

Ahh, gotcha. Yes I can see how that would be useful. I'm green at this, so when I say I don't know of anything like that it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Hope you find it.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Matthew Moy‌  The same functionality does not currently exist in ArcGIS Pro.  Teams looked at this and wanted to offer the following workaround for now:

Configure popups on a layer with expressions to show area, length, parts, and/or vertex counts as needed.

Examples for Area and Length (with some formatting):

• Text(Area($feature,"ACRE"),"#,##0.00") + " acres"
  • Text(Length($feature,"FOOT"),"#,##0.0") + " ft"

For parts:

var allParts = MultiPartToSinglePart($feature);

return Count(allParts);

For vertex count (multipatch is not supported in Arcade, so that will return 0. All other geometry types work):

var geom = Geometry($feature);

if (IsEmpty(geom)) {

return 0;

}

var geomType = TypeOf(geom);

if (geomType == "Point") {

return 1

}

if (geomType == "Polygon") {

var vertextCount = 0;

var partCount = count(geom.rings);

for (var i = 0; i < partCount; i++) {

vertextCount = vertextCount + count(geom.rings[i]);

}

return vertextCount

}

if (geomType == "Polyline") {

var vertextCount = 0;

var partCount = count(geom.paths);

for (var i = 0; i < partCount; i++) {

vertextCount = vertextCount + count(geom.paths[i]);

}

return vertextCount

}

if (geomType == "Multipoint") {

return count(geom.points);

}

else {

return "Unknown Geometry";

}

We realize that this is not ideal but wanted to offer at least the possibility of getting it set up for you to work in Pro now.  The development team is looking at ways to bring geometry reporter functionality into a future Pro release.

Hope this helps!

Kucik
by
New Contributor

Hello,

I would like to ask you if new features/solutions were implemented regarding geometry reporter in ArcGIS pro 3.2.1.

Thank you

0 Kudos
SeaRM
by
New Contributor III

Don't you try XTools Pro Identify Pro tool? It shows geometry properties of features, including parts information for multipart features.

SeaRM_0-1709106590960.png

0 Kudos